Apple cripples maps and search results for Chinese iPhone 4

By Emil
Sep 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. When we reported that the iPhone 4 was headed to China, there was no mention about how Apple would cripple the device under the government's orders. Those details are starting to surface, thanks to Ogle Earth. The maps app on the Chinese iPhone 4 can reportedly only display Google's Chinese government-approved version of the world, and it also censors Google's search results. The problem is worse this time around because ...

Read the whole story
  2. "the Arunachal Pradesh region shows up as part of China, even though it's part of India"

--it's disputed territory, take a look at where it is in Google Maps relative to India and China, respectively, and you'll see why China claims it.
  3. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 866   +128

I guess Apple wasn't on the Google bandwagon with objecting to restrictions...
  4. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,062   +70

Does this mean Apple will flatten out the images of Earth for the Chinese government?

Great.... I've been thinking about this for too long and now my nose is bleeding!
  5. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 523   +9

I hate the Chinese government and their controlling ways. I can't see how the Chinese people allow it. Maybe it'll take the next generation to become unsatisfied.
  6. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

These companies always talk about bettering the world but they only do it when its environmental. Own up to your words for once and just pull your product out of the country, if The Chinese people have to deal with falling behind in technology they will get mad enough to revolt, but instead they get half functional devices that seem to string them along.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.