Apple decreasing dependence on Samsung for memory components

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple has increased orders for DRAM and NAND flash memory from two Japanese component manufacturers in an effort to further decrease dependence on Samsung for various components. Industry sources say Toshiba is handling Apple’s NAND flash parts while Elpida Memory is responsible for supplying Cupertino with mobile RAM, according to a report from DigiTimes.

Apple was reportedly courting vendors to provide LCD screens for iPhones and iPads last month when it was rumored that they were prepared to invest up to $1 billion in Japanese corporation Sharp. It was unclear at the time if the news simply indicated that Apple was looking for a more diverse supplier portfolio or if they were specifically trying to cut ties with Samsung. This most recent development points to the latter.  

This isn’t surprising as Apple and Samsung have battled it out in various courts around the globe this year regarding patent infringement from both parties. Apple sued Samsung over Galaxy phones and tablets in California last April, claiming that Samsung has been riding Apple's coattails with devices such as the Galaxy S 4G, Epic 4G, Nexus S and Galaxy Tab by copying design elements from the iPhone and iPad.

Further litigation came in August when Apple successfully blocked Samsung from releasing their Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia, claiming that the tablet violates no less than 10 patents and is too similar to the iPad. Specific patent claims include the “look and feel” and touchscreen technology.

Permalink to story.

This sort of thing is bound to crop up when you feel obligated to sue the hand that feeds you.

Are we sure that they, (Apple), weren't suffering "shipping delays" from Samsung?

will be good if one company manage to stop iphone and ipad distributions as they did with samsung..they deserve to be destroyed

Of course the 3 posts above hide as Guests. Regardless of what you think of Apple, this is simply a smart business decision. Now if one company has production problems the chances of Apple having significant shortages go down a lot.

Of course the 3 posts above hide as Guests. Regardless of what you think of Apple, this is simply a smart business decision. Now if one company has production problems the chances of Apple having significant shortages go down a lot.
OK, I have no intention of hiding behind a "guest" log in. When you sue your chief memory supplier, and block distribution of their product, it follows very logically, that you're going to have supply problems.

So, what you've chosen to spin as a "smart business decision", is a simple self preservation decision.

From an editorial standpoint, I think whatever "supply problems" Apple might encounter, are supply problems Apple has coming.

I agree with your assessment on creating supply problems for yourself. But, nobody is going to defend putting all your eggs in one basket, right? Maybe Apple did it out of poor decisions, maybe they did it because nobody but Samsung could meet their demand.

I suppose if you really want to spin this, you could say Apple is propping up "small" companies that just needed someone to "give them a chance".

Also, everyone is suing everyone now, its the cool thing to do.

I agree with your assessment on creating supply problems for yourself. But, nobody is going to defend putting all your eggs in one basket, right? Maybe Apple did it out of poor decisions, maybe they did it because nobody but Samsung could meet their demand.
Just think, not that long ago, Apple was manipulating the commodities market by offering to pay more than market value for touch screens. I find it delicious that they find themselves in a bind with respect memory supply, totally of their own making. [/QUOTE]

I suppose if you really want to spin this, you could say Apple is propping up "small" companies that just needed someone to "give them a chance".
Yeah however, a reasonably sane person could probably still find that unbelievable, even in the event of it coming directly from Steve Job's mouth.

Also, everyone is suing everyone now, its the cool thing to do.
Oh, and here I thought Apple was so far above simply running with the pack.

Back