Apple event confirmed for October 23, iPad Mini expected

Jos

Staff

Apple has sent out invitations for a media event next Tuesday October 23 at the California Theatre in San Jose, where it is expected the company will unveil the long-rumored 7.85-inch version of the iPad. The invitation includes the Apple logo on a colorful background and reads "We've got a little more to show you."

The event will take place six weeks after Apple unveiled the iPhone 5. Though it’s uncharacteristic for the company to hold two major launch events this close together, the decision not to launch both devices in September might have had something to do with Apple not wanting to dilute the attention these products command, and the challenge of ramping supply and manufacturing for both products at the same time.

apple oct

So, what can we expect on Tuesday? The latest iPad Mini rumors point to a 7.85-inch device in several configurations spanning memory capacities from 8GB to 64GB, Wi-Fi-only or 3G/4G models, and two color options. The device is expected to feature a smaller bezel than the full-sized iPad, front and rear facing cameras, the new Lightning connector, and an iPad 2 class screen resolution of 1,024-by-768 pixels. Pricing for the base 8GB, Wi-Fi only model could be anything from $250 at the lowest point to $350 at the highest.

Besides the smaller iPad, Apple is also expected to unveil a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, and might give the Mac Mini a long overdue refresh -- after all they’re already tossing the word ‘little’ into the invite.

Permalink to story.

Apple has been slacking on their secret-keeping ways since Steve was around. ok sure the iPhone in the bar thing was embarrassing but this particular even was a pretty bad-kept secret. Also the vid of the iphone 5 booting up is just as bad.

On another note, I think this iPad mini is gonna be one of Apples biggest mistakes over the past couple of years. All it's gonna do is cannibilise their current iPad sales and it's gonna be a nightmare for developers to have to code for so many different screen configurations.
Can someone enlighten me why they would buy the 7.85incher over the beautiful 10.1 incher? With more than double the resolution and do doubt better processor, RAM and other internals?

@captainawesome assuming the rumors are correct, the iPad mini will have a screen resolution of 1,024-by-768 pixels, which is the same as the iPad 2. In other words, iPad app developers would have to code for the same two screen configurations that they already code for.

I took a survey a week ago, and an add saying "Win a free iPad Mini by signing up today!" popped up. I thought that they were lying. D***. But The product is a joke, why make it 1.85 inches less? That really sounds like that they (Apple) are running out of ideas. I always preferred Androids over Apple...

@TechMancer

"But The product is a joke, why make it 1.85 inches less? That really sounds like that they (Apple) are running out of ideas. I always preferred Androids over Apple.."

apple want try their luck just like samsung did with their galaxy tab 7 :D

Back