TechSpot

Apple faces more heat over misleading warranty info in EU, Australia

By Matthew
Mar 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding called for closer monitoring of Apple's retail practices on Tuesday, citing concerns over the company's ongoing failure to inform consumers about their warranty rights. Under EU law, companies are required to provide a minimum warranty...

Read more

2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 559   +150

Yet another reason why I love to hate apple.

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

This is a bit harsh to be fair, Pretty much every single company does this, When you purchase anything in the UK your lead to believe its only got a 1 year warranty on it.

4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Yeah but Apple are pretty pushy with those Applecare warranties. I was asked at least 3 times and almost laughed at in the end when I said I didn't want Applecare with a MBA purchase. It's pretty much the same as PPI mis-selling IMO and the EU are quite rightly looking into it.

havok585 likes this.
  5. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Member Posts: 95   +30

In Belgium I honestly only know about Apple & crooked car dealers giving less warranty than legally obliged.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

You'd think Apple being a reputable company would play by the rules. Just goes to show how little they feel. If they do this without batting an eye, what about the rest?

7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

No No, don't get me wrong, they should be definitely looking into it, I'm just saying, If I walk into the Bose store in London, they try to get you to buy extra warranty and lead you to believe (sometimes just downright lie) that you only have 1 year, PC world, Curry's and the like are all guilty of it.

Only shop I've walked into that actually abides by this law is John Lewis.

8. The past 4/10 Techspot news articles were about Apple. That's nearly half. Might as well rename the site AppleSpot.:D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.