Apple facilities at 75 percent renewable energy use

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple recently updated their environmental progress page used to chronicle their mission of achieving 100 percent renewable energy. For all of Apple’s corporate facilities worldwide, they are at 75 percent renewable energy – a 114 percent increase since 2010.

In order to reach 100 percent, Apple said they are constructing new energy efficient buildings and updating existing facilities. They plan to use renewable energy sources like solar arrays and fuel cells while establishing as many long-term contracts with energy suppliers as they are allowed to.

apple renewable energy

A number of facilities including all of Apple’s data centers that provide online services to customers have already achieved this milestone. Facilities in Austin, Cork, Munich and the headquarters in Cupertino are also running on 100 percent renewable energy.

The company’s data center in Maiden, North Carolina, was designed from the ground up and has earned the LEED Platinum certification, something that no other data center of this size and type has achieved according to Apple. The center contains a chilled water storage system, the use of “free” outside air cooling via a waterside economizer, extreme precision in managing cooling distribution for cold air containment pods and power distributed at higher voltages to reduce power loss.

apple renewable energy

The environmental progress page as a whole is worth a visit as it chronicles the company’s efforts through the years starting when they released and implemented the policy in 1990.

Permalink to story.

Yeah but pretty much every single Apple story ever run on Techspot (yes I am exaggerating) have at least 1 hate comment within 15 minutes of it being posted, regardless if its positive or negative news.

"Apple facilities at 75 percent renewable energy use"

... but to be able to afford one of their devices, one must "consume" immense amounts of oil products to earn that kind of money :)

I'm with clifford; I don't like [not hate] Apple as a whole. But there's nothing to say against but congratulate when a company invest seriously in these policies.

A cousin installed a solar array in the roof of his house and hasn't paid a single cent of power consumption in 3 years now; it wasn't cheap but is an investment that will be recovered in a term of 15 years (12 more years) of what he would have to pay for using the supplied city's power and after that is all "profit".

This post has been up over 30 minutes now and no Apple hating comments?

*Achievement Unlocked*

I've been trying to think of something disparaging to say about Apple for this, but for the life of me I can't.
Sorry I'm late to the party, but we all know Apple boasts their cash amount in billions, 75% is impressive, but if they were in the 90% range I'm sure they'd be a prime example for other companies to follow.

Good for them... the bummer of course is that this isn't an option for most companies. The reasons for doing green are for good publicity, not because it'll save money. Bill Gates called Solar power 'cute' when asked if it could ever be a solution to fossil fuels. They cost far too much and are too unreliable.

People also focus on the end result of green energy without considering the entire process. For example, look at neodymium. Hardly anyone's ever heard of it, but there's a chunk of it in every windmill and Toyota Prius. What's good for the environment in the US may be terrible for the environment in China.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but we all know Apple boasts their cash amount in billions, 75% is impressive, but if they were in the 90% range I'm sure they'd be a prime example for other companies to follow.
This doesn't make sense. How does their cash matter in this? Maybe they could buy more solar panels then? Ok maybe I could see where you are going there... but then you say if they were 90% then that would be a prime example to follow. Because 75% isn't setting an example? but 90% is?

Back