TechSpot

Apple facilities at 75 percent renewable energy use

By Shawn Knight
Mar 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple recently updated their environmental progress page used to chronicle their mission of achieving 100 percent renewable energy. For all of Apple’s corporate facilities worldwide, they are at 75 percent renewable energy – a 114 percent increase since 2010.

Read more

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

This post has been up over 30 minutes now and no Apple hating comments?
    *Achievement Unlocked*

davislane1 likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,241   +1,549

Seriously there is nothing to hate about a company going green, even though I do hate the company.

wastedkill and H3llion like this.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

Yeah but pretty much every single Apple story ever run on Techspot (yes I am exaggerating) have at least 1 hate comment within 15 minutes of it being posted, regardless if its positive or negative news.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,970   +586

Gentle tap on a shoulder of your Chinese slave...

6. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TS Member Posts: 89

"Apple facilities at 75 percent renewable energy use"

... but to be able to afford one of their devices, one must "consume" immense amounts of oil products to earn that kind of money :)

7. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 287   +50

I'm with clifford; I don't like [not hate] Apple as a whole. But there's nothing to say against but congratulate when a company invest seriously in these policies.

A cousin installed a solar array in the roof of his house and hasn't paid a single cent of power consumption in 3 years now; it wasn't cheap but is an investment that will be recovered in a term of 15 years (12 more years) of what he would have to pay for using the supplied city's power and after that is all "profit".

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,332   +804

I've been trying to think of something disparaging to say about Apple for this, but for the life of me I can't.

9. Sorry I'm late to the party, but we all know Apple boasts their cash amount in billions, 75% is impressive, but if they were in the 90% range I'm sure they'd be a prime example for other companies to follow.

10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,147   +737

Good for them... the bummer of course is that this isn't an option for most companies. The reasons for doing green are for good publicity, not because it'll save money. Bill Gates called Solar power 'cute' when asked if it could ever be a solution to fossil fuels. They cost far too much and are too unreliable.

People also focus on the end result of green energy without considering the entire process. For example, look at neodymium. Hardly anyone's ever heard of it, but there's a chunk of it in every windmill and Toyota Prius. What's good for the environment in the US may be terrible for the environment in China.

11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,647   +323

This doesn't make sense. How does their cash matter in this? Maybe they could buy more solar panels then? Ok maybe I could see where you are going there... but then you say if they were 90% then that would be a prime example to follow. Because 75% isn't setting an example? but 90% is?

cliffordcooley likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.