Apple finally pulls back the curtain on its tablet, iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After a period of much anticipation, Apple followed through with the unveiling of its tablet device, simply called "iPad". The device features a 9.7-inch capacitive IPS display, a custom 1GHz Apple A4 chip, 10-hours of battery life with a month of standby, and it weighs 1.5lbs.

Units will ship in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB capacities. There are also 3G-enabled SKUs in the same capacities that comes with two new data plans from AT&T: 250MB for $14.99 and unlimited for $29.99 per month -- contract free. All iPads are unlocked and come with a GSM micro-SIM.

Other details revealed include 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, an accelerometer and compass, a 30-pin Dock connector, a speaker and a mic. The iPad can run iPhone apps in a window with their native pixel ratio or they can be run at fullscreen. Apple has also rolled out a new iPhone OS SDK today, allowing developers to make apps specifically for the tablet.

Continue reading...

Apple has reportedly tweaked at least some of the included apps to take advantage of the additional horsepower and screen real estate. For instance, iTunes is said to include its media store and the software resembles a hybrid between the desktop and iPhone versions, the calendar has larger text and buttons, and YouTube supports HD video.

The company also showed off a version of its iWork productivity suite with touchscreen capabilities. The package includes Keynote, Pages, and Numbers -- Apple's renditions of PowerPoint, Word, and Excel. Each can be downloaded from the App Store for $10.

Prices start at $499 for a 16GB iPad, 32GB runs $599, and 64GB will set you back $699. Meanwhile, 3G-enabled models will cost $629, $729, and $829, respectively. Wi-Fi-only units will ship in 60 days, and their 3G counterparts will land in 90.

Permalink to story.

I very much like the 3G option without a contract, it is definitely appealing and the price seems reasonable. I want details on how well background apps run though first as one of prime reasons i would want a data contract would be for Voip applications.

Initially, I followed the hype that the iPAD is nothing more than a larger, glorified iPOD Touch; however, after I thought about how this will improve my ability to consume media products and browse the internet I realize that the iPAD is going to revolutionize consumer technology.

Imagine people who travel a lot, personally, I have been home 5-months in the past 12 so I rely on my laptop and smartphone quite a bit. While both of these devices keep me satisfied I freqently find the cords and bulkiness associated with a laptop--netbooks don't improve the situation a whole lot either--and the slowness and inability of smartphones to support regular web-pages and applications just plain frustrating.

I think that while consumers are aware of these inconveniances we ignore them because we don't know any better. Well, I think the iPAD is the solution to this problem. I have multiple work-related/personal trips coming up and I am overwhelmed with comfort thinking of how conveniant having an Apple iPAD will be for those long, long plane rides.

With 10hrs of battery life and 1 month of standby mode the iPAD is going to transcend what we now know of mobile internet browsing. You better believe that it is going to be common to see an iPAD on the coffee tables at friends and family members homes, every college student is going tote one of these bad-boys around in their Indiana Jones sachels, every traveler and business-person is going pack their i-PADs in their carry-on bag and briefcase.

This product doesn't fulfill the pocket-device need, it doesn't fulfill the laptop needs, but it does its own thing. Anywhere where we take a bakpack, small sachel, or briefcase we are going to carry a tablet device and Apple's iPAD is going to be the predominant supplier of this emerging consumer demand. I guarantee it.

I can't wait to get mine! But what's the deal with 4G??? I don't want to buy a 3G product for $530-730 if 4G is going to start rolling out, especially if when that comes the iPAD costs $100-200 less. This is my only set-back and I think it could initially hurt sales. Many of you might disagree with me on this, but I wasn't born yesterday, Apple's new product is going to dominate.

Thanks!

-Dylan

The price is awesome, I really didn't expect a $499 starting point and 3G with no contract from AT&T. Impressed so far with it and tempted to give it a try at such a price :) .

yukka said:
What can you get for 499.99 in America? Is that a low spec laptop or desktop pc?

You could get a netbook surely or a business oriented laptop. Even a very basic desktop PC I'd imagine.

Guest said:
So it's just a massive iPod Touch?

Looks like it, which is kinda neat imo.

This device has no usb ports, it doesn't even support multi-tasking and it is just a big version of ipod touch - quite frankly Apple, I'm a little disappointed in you, I was expecting more... Now I'm thinking of buying the HP Slate instead..

This device has no usb ports, it doesn't even support multi-tasking and it is just a big version of ipod touch - quite frankly Apple, I'm a little disappointed in you, I was expecting more... Now I'm thinking of buying the HP Slate instead..

No USB ports because with no real OS, it can't do anything with other hardware.

I am a self professed Apple hater and this hasn't done anything to change my attitude, but I'm not their target audience I suppose.

Guest said:
Initially, I followed the hype that the iPAD is nothing more than a larger, glorified iPOD Touch; however, after I thought about how this will improve my ability to consume media products and browse the internet I realize that the iPAD is going to revolutionize consumer technology.

Seriously, please go back to your work at Apple HQ and stop promoting your new product on these forums...

I do agree that this could be useful for college students (albeit for very rich college students) and on long plane rides, but I just cannot imagine that this would be adopted by businesses. You can get a decent spec laptop for the price and the iPad seems to be in a world of its own with no cross-compatible devices or peripherals (e.g. USB as someone mentioned earlier). I love my iPhone for the fact that it fits in my pocket and I can listen to music, surf the internet and play some casual gaming on my hour long journey to work. There's nothing in this iPad that I would pay a few hundred $ premium for, not to mention the fact that it would take up more space.

I sure am disappointed with this thing. I was hoping for it to have a version of OS X on it, despite the recent rumors. And not having any USB ports is a significant mark against it in my opinion. You can get a netbook with really good battery life and a real operating system , and even an ION chipset for that price.

At first I thought that $499 was a good price, then I realized that's for 16 Gigs. My Touch has 16 Gigs, and I hate it. it's tiny, and I have to battle between storing games, music or movies. Or do without one of those (movies) which is what I elect to do.

The wireless service needs to be carrier agnostic. But at least the lack of a contract is favorable.

I'm a bit upset that it uses an IPS LCD display and not an AMOLED display.

Is this some kind of female sanitary item?

Nothing innovative as far as I can see. It looks like a big ipod touch with practically no additional features. It even uses the same OS!

Maybe if it had some usb ports and a decent OS you could actually use it for editing files and such.

It will be reasonably successful though, as the fanbois will all buy 2 each. Fools.

From the looks of it, it could replace e-book readers and has a lot of connectivity solutions. for 500$ it's not a bad deal, but i don't think i'd personally buy it since it's a lot of money for it's power.

I'll wait for the ASUS DR-570. That'd be just 200 grams, and provide similar functionality (e-book, video, browser). The iPad will likely do some things better (maybe many things), but it's too heavy and quite expensive for me. (I do hope that the DR-570 will be cheaper.)

Forgot to mention that the DR-570 is supposed to have 122 hour battery life, which is 12.2 times better than what Apple is offering.

funny why any1 even bother with pocket pcs? those are EOL products, they r dead and useless
for the less money you can buy ultra ppc which its way more powerfull that that
and for 1k$ you can get quite good desktop replacement notebook

With the advances in SSD technology, why does Apple still insist on using the smaller and slower flash memory? Apple claims "Our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device". I had hoped for an expansion slot or multicard reader at least. I mean, this thing doesn't even have a camera?! Advanced technology, magical, revolutionary? Give me a break! Too much hype, not enough product as usual apple.

Is it still 2010, or am I back in 1996 having a nightmare about recycled technology?

Is it still 2010, or am I back in 1996 having a nightmare about recycled technology?

I guess you are very much correct about this ....... recycling old technology has been pretty much a game plan for others as well like nVidia for instance.

Guest said:
iPad? OMG now that is funny!

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought so >_>

What a thrill it would be seeing toying and playing around with your new iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back