Apple gains 3x more customers from Samsung than Samsung does from Apple

Scorpus

Staff member

A new survey conducted by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners has revealed an interesting statistic: Apple gains three times more customers from Samsung than Samsung does from Apple. The study, which looked into the buying habits and demographics of people who purchased a new smartphone in the past 90 days, also indicates that iPhone buyers are more educated and have higher incomes.

apple samsung iphone android ios mobile smartphone galaxy s phones

On a broad scale, taking into account all smartphone purchases, 7% of Samsung phone buyers previously owned an iPhone, while 20% of iPhone buyers previously owned an Android device. Looking just at those customers switching phone brand, 33% of Apple's customers switched specifically from a Samsung phone, while just 11% of Samsung's customers switched from an iPhone.

Between July 2012 and June 2013, 42% of Apple's customers were upgrading from another iPhone, and 43% of Samsung buyers were upgrading from a previous Android device (although not necessarily a Samsung one). 37% of customers purchasing a Samsung device were first-time smartphone buyers, compared to 26% for Apple devices.

Looking at the demographic data provided, it appears that nearly 70% of iPhone buyers surveyed earned over $50,000 per year, while just 55% of Samsung phone buyers fit into that category. The data also showed that nearly half of Apple customers claimed they had at least a college degree, while only 30% of Samsung customers had the same level of education.

Permalink to story.

I almost have my doctorate and I switched from my iPhone 4s to a Galaxy S4 just a few weeks ago. I have to say: damn that was a great decision.

Looking at the demographic data provided, it appears that nearly 70% of iPhone buyers surveyed earned over $50,000 per year, while just 55% of Samsung phone buyers fit into that category. The data also showed that nearly half of Apple customers claimed they had at least a college degree, while only 30% of Samsung customers had the same level of education.
LMAO.

Where the heck does this "survey" show that iOS takes 3x more customers from Samsung than Samsung does from Apple? It just sounds like Apple BS to me (where the "Samsung" in the title should be replaced by "Android". And then it's still irrelevant because it only takes into consideration Samsung).
Otherwise, you are apparently comparing just 1 part of Android against Apple. I would start taking this seriously if it also showed all of Android under it...

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners is a small (less than 10 employees) barely 2 years old company that, disguised as a market research business, promotes exclusively apple products. And it took me only 5 minutes to google this info. Mr. Tim Scheisser can't even be bothered to spend a few minutes to verify his sources, so much for journalistic integrity, I honestly hope he doesn't get paid for this.

Where the heck does this "survey" show that iOS takes 3x more customers from Samsung than Samsung does from Apple? It just sounds like Apple BS to me (where the "Samsung" in the title should be replaced by "Android". And then it's still irrelevant because it only takes into consideration Samsung).
Otherwise, you are apparently comparing just 1 part of Android against Apple. I would start taking this seriously if it also showed all of Android under it...
It was probably located on Apple's website.
If they wanted to make it fair, they should directly compare the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S4.

Sorry but this survey is obvious bull I mean come on how many were surveyed 1,000? At Least do a real survey of around 1million people to make it more realistic as this is just pretty much a sham survey.

Surveys of below 1million people are that good 80% of the world are vegetarians yep 80% or so a survey said good thing these surveys are made up of a tiny amount of people I mean come on but atleast do CEO's to make it more credible as its obviously a known fact 70% of people on earth earn around $10million-$70million.

"nearly half of Apple customers claimed they had at least a college degree" Key word there is Claimed, with no actual evidence backing those claims. But this is nothing new for an Apple supporter, they claim all kinds of things which usually turn out to be BS. I once new a guy I worked with who owned an iPhone, claimed he'd been on the space shuttle.

Well considering the wide range of iPhones I can sort of understand why you need a higher income to buy an iPhone... but joking a side I do not think you can compare the buyer of Samsung Ace 2 to and an iPhone 5 buyer.
My guess is that when you compare the people that buy high end Samsung devices to iPhone buyers things will be more even.

Ok, guys... I see enough other tech sites falling for Apple shill action, don't really want to see it on Techspot...

This Consumer Intelligence Research Partners tend to show a massive concentration on the performance of Apple products (just look at their list of articles on their own website under "News Media" and you'll see that 7 out of 8 of the stories they are proud of are about Apple or iSomethings). And, let's be real, you can make even losing statistics look good, if you try hard enough. Think maybe there is a reason that the previous operating systems part of this little survey is being presented in percentages, and not actual number of people? The fact that Samsung has over twice the market share of Apple couldn't possibly be it, right? That would mean that if you laid out the actual number of switching users, the figures would be WAY closer, and having Apple win by 3 times when you skew it to percentages sound much better!

Yes, Apple gained defectors from Android, and gained a good chunk of them. But seriously, 3x the percentages of wildly differing base numbers is not 3x the customers... Pull up, you're falling into the distortion field!

I don't understand why. Everybody says that Samsung has the better phones and even I tested both of them and reached the same conclusion. All I can think of is teens and preteens need the apple brand to brag to their classmates and nothing else and this is IF they actually did a correct survey.
But as everybody else is pointing out in their comments nobody believes it was done right. It's just some paid publicity by apple.

So if this survey is accurate we can deduce that Apple users are cultist, snobbish and use the Apple brand as a luxury brand to distinguish themselves from others, essentially one-up-man ship. That sounds about right. I have a Masters degree and use my brain to buy the best product which clearly is not Apple. Intelligent people do not buy into brands, egotistical people do and those who want to believe that made it through conspicuous consumption.

I think we all can agree now that you do not need Masters degree to figure which mobile os is better

'nuff said :)

Was gunna say the same, its android vs ios not samsung vs apple. My theory is the average smartphone user cant handle android so turn into an isheep for a simply basic os :D

Was gunna say the same, its android vs ios not samsung vs apple. My theory is the average smartphone user cant handle android so turn into an isheep for a simply basic os :D

And you have just highlighted the horrific brilliance of Apple. Tired of too many choices? Come to iOS! More interested in a simple slick interface than the underlying power and options? iOS is for you! Come, children, all are welcome. Allllll are wellllllllcommmmmme...

Love them or hate them, Apple (particularly Jobs' Apple) are brilliant when it comes to finding that balance of simplified interface and functionality. They give you just enough to be fully useful, but not enough to be too confusing for the new user. Their refinements allow them to fit a huge range of technological know-how in the general consumer populace.

So often, technology-loving Android fans (which includes me) point to Apple and call them snobbish, but we're often guilty of the very same when we look down our noses at iOS and the suppressed or nonexistent features. I know I've been guilty of that on several occasions.

I'm a dentist and my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Think about how celebrities dress like bums (t-shirt, ripped jeans), while people in the ghetto wear excess jewellery and retain tags on their clothing to show how much money they spent. Young people with less money buy name brands to appear wealthy. I doubt Apple customers have a higher income. At least Samsung is making huge headway for Android...

Another factor: People who are educated about technology (and not just social media addicts), choose Android over Apple. Open source software and custom roms put a smile on our faces.

Have to agree, this article has either FUBARed Techspots iOS poorly hidden slant as to still remain deniable. Or they just gave up trying to conceal it and plausible deniability is off the table now. Either way, techspots status with me can't really get that much lower.. PsyOrg seems to be the only safe haven for actual news without an agenda.

When I see the word survey or poll I am always suspicious. So many factors can skew the results such as the questions, sample size and population. Then the final issue is the interpretation of the results. A classic example is Southeastern Trains who made great play of the fact that passenger satisfaction had gone up 1% (according to an independent survey). what they did not publicise was that they were still near the bottom compared to other companies.

I'd take this survey with a shovelful of salt. Survey result figures, unless conducted under controlled conditions are usually thumb sucked in my experience.

"Mr. Tim Scheisser can't even be bothered to spend a few minutes to verify his sources"

@ guest--U spelled Mr. Schiesser's name incorrectly.

Schiesser in German means shooter as in straight shooter--Then again, what may have been a Freudian slip--or not--Scheisser means Crapper which btw describes this survey and the author that wrote it, to a tee.

Back