Apple has completely redesigned iOS Maps, US users will get it first

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
The big picture: Apple's Maps in iOS was a buggy mess when it first released. Over the years, the developers have improved it, but it's never been a real competitor to Google Maps. The smartphone maker is hoping to change that with a fresh coat of paint and a load of new features added to the latest update of its navigation tool.

On Thursday, Apple rolled out an updated native Maps app to all iOS users in the United States. The redesign was already pushed out to a few southeastern states late last year, presumably for beta testing. Cupertino says it will implement the changes in Europe “in the coming months.”

Maps for iOS has been slow to get fixed from its terrible bug-riddled 2012 launch. The latest redesign was initially announced back in 2018, but even at that time, Apple had spent four years reworking the highly under-performing navigator.

The most noticeable difference will be in the amount of detail seen on the non-satellite view. Parks, buildings, and landmarks will be much more visible now. However, to my eye, it does make some of the smaller residential streets hard to see (comparison above).

Apple says that the app will also be faster and more responsive. Navigation is supposed to be more accurate, as well. Hopefully, Siri will now remind you to get in the turning lane well before you pass the end of the line during rush hour, but no guarantees.

“We set out to create the best and most private maps app on the planet that is reflective of how people explore the world today,” said Apple’s Internet Software and Services Senior Vice President Eddie Cue. “It is an effort we are deeply invested in and required that we rebuild the map from the ground up to reimagine how Maps enhances people’s lives.”

In addition to the new look, Maps has its alternative to Google’s Street View called “Look Around.” It is limited to only a handful of cities, including Las Vegas and San Francisco, but Apple promises more places will become viewable in future updates.

My Places is still a feature, although now it is called Favorites. It allows you to save locations so you can find them quickly and initiate navigation with one touch. However, now you can share lists of your favorite places, such as restaurants, with others using the newly added Collections.

There are quite a few other tweaks, including indoor maps, real-time transit schedules, Flyover, better privacy, and more. Details are available in Apple's press release.

Masthead: Studio Monkey via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Its funny, I always favour apple maps over google... Mainly because I only use as a sat nav in my car and it links up to Car Play a lot better than Google Maps does... Also I find google maps convoluted and confusing where as Apple maps is much simpler map - no nonsense -you might say!

Although I seem to be alone in this point of view lol!

Like people who only buy iPhones cause they're used to it, most will only use Google Maps because that's the "default" map app. It's too late to make a dent in that area in my opinion.

I guess it will still say 'Here be Monsters' on the RHS of the Atlantic then?

From the day iPhone inception in 2007, Apple is using the same maps! They are just upgrading OS numbers that's it! There is nothing new in it! Apple have to learn from it's competitors, and how they are using adopting technologies, then only it will succeed. Or else Apple will disappear soon!

Like people who only buy iPhones cause they're used to it, most will only use Google Maps because that's the "default" map app. It's too late to make a dent in that area in my opinion.
Argument is invalid. At our company we only supply iPhones as corporate device, there are 4 (out of 50-60) within the company who has the Google Maps installed (my manager, myself and two person who asked for it) and the two users are not even opened the app in the last 6 months...everyone else using Apple's Maps
Using Google maps most likely for hardcore GMaps users or coming from Droid or support staff and have all the apps on his/her device to test certain scenarios...

Argument is invalid. At our company we only supply iPhones as corporate device, there are 4 (out of 50-60) within the company who has the Google Maps installed (my manager, myself and two person who asked for it) and the two users are not even opened the app in the last 6 months...everyone else using Apple's Maps
Using Google maps most likely for hardcore GMaps users or coming from Droid or support staff and have all the apps on his/her device to test certain scenarios...
It could be that Apple Maps users are misled into the same "office" while the rest of the people are in their real offices working.

Apple is delusional if they think people don't want to look up addresses on their computers. Right now, the only way to do that is by using Google maps.

Please do better research. The correct information is has completed a rollout ( can you say rollout kids?). Maps has been continually improved, since its initial rollout with some bad mistakes, but for some time, many people actually prefer it to google maps.
You can say google maps is better, but in a few areas where it is, not substantially so. It is more what you are used to, what you prefer.
The turn by turn and integration with car play and Apple Watch, far surpass google for me, but that is more of a familiarity thing
Besides google maps has many mistakes, like two movie theatres in kahalui that it places in the ocean. Apple Maps has it right
So enough already, they are both excellent tools that get you where you want to go, your selection of one v the other is a preference, not an absolute

And if you write an article, get your facts straight

Please do better research. The correct information is has completed a rollout ( can you say rollout kids?). Maps has been continually improved, since its initial rollout with some bad mistakes, but for some time, many people actually prefer it to google maps.
You can say google maps is better, but in a few areas where it is, not substantially so. It is more what you are used to, what you prefer.
The turn by turn and integration with car play and Apple Watch, far surpass google for me, but that is more of a familiarity thing
Besides google maps has many mistakes, like two movie theatres in kahalui that it places in the ocean. Apple Maps has it right
So enough already, they are both excellent tools that get you where you want to go, your selection of one v the other is a preference, not an absolute

And if you write an article, get your facts straight
I'm not sure what facts you are contesting. Pretty much everything in the article is straight from Apple except for some of the historical. Be more specific, and I can make corrections if necessary.

I used to prefer google maps but have noticed that I prefer Apple maps now, Paticularly when driving as the instructions are much better and will also deliver to my watch which is handy.

Also not using google maps has the added advantage of me not using another google service. I’ve almost completely removed google services from my life now, all except YouTube which I run in a shell connected to an account with dummy data on it.

Curious to see what Apple have improved on these new maps.

Its funny, I always favour apple maps over google... Mainly because I only use as a sat nav in my car and it links up to Car Play a lot better than Google Maps does... Also I find google maps convoluted and confusing where as Apple maps is much simpler map - no nonsense -you might say!

Although I seem to be alone in this point of view lol!

Waze on Car Play is the bee’s knees. Maps and “radar detector” in one. Surprised nobody else has mentioned it.

I am finding that with each new update, new "features" are being crammed into Google Maps and it's getting really bloated.. At this rate it will be the Windows 10 of apps!!

And, it seems to be not as accurate as it used to be.

Been using the Maps App & its GPS for years. Playback thru car audio via Bluetooth works great too.

IMO, it's very doubtful that there are many that have BOTH Apple & Android mobile devices to make any kind of objective comparison, so all I can see is a flock of Apple nay-sayers.

BTW: Apple sold the absolute largest volume of iPhones over all other makes in 2019 -- even with the outrageous pricing.

Waze on Car Play is the bee’s knees. Maps and “radar detector” in one. Surprised nobody else has mentioned it.

I tried Waze and didnt like it, It seemed pretty amazing in London but it didn't really save me much time where I live.

Back