Apple iCloud will not support Windows XP

Emil

Apple has decided not to support Windows XP for its iCloud synchronization service, revealed earlier this week. Given that iCloud's predecessor, MobileMe, supported XP just fine, this is a minor shock, though it makes sense.

The information comes from the fine print on the apple.com/icloud/features webpage. Here is the relevant excerpt: "Requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac computer with OS X Lion or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 recommended)."

Apple iCloud is a service designed to work with apps on iOS, Mac, or PC to automatically store your content online and push it back to all your devices when requested. When anything changes on one of your devices, all of your devices are wirelessly updated as soon as possible.

Although Windows Vista and Windows 7 are used by 35 percent of users around the world, Windows XP still trumps them both with over 50 percent market share. This is very unfortunate given that XP is a decade-old operating system.

Microsoft knows this and is making its own attempts to woo users off the platform. The software giant still supports those using XP, despite its hate for the ancient OS.

On April 14, 2009, Microsoft retired Mainstream Support for XP, and with it, support for IE6. The company is not planning to retire Extended Support for the operating system until April 8, 2014. If the company ends up releasing XP SP4 (highly unlikely), it will retire support for SP3 (released in April 2008) two years later, or in April 2014, whichever comes first. In short, Windows XP will continue to be officially supported by Microsoft for about three more years. Despite the support options, Redmond still wants XP and IE6 to die.

Permalink to story.

Rasta211 said:
Apple iCloud does not support Windows XP, then 50% of the population will not support iCloud.
Or more likely the ones how really want iCloud will upgrade to Win7 or switch to Mac, the latter being the most likely unfortunately

" Despite the support options, Redmond still wants XP and IE6 to die "

Of course, They still want to sell OSs !!!

+1 SNGX
And @Guest, doesn't Apple also happen to sell an OS product? Oh wait ...... trolls pretend that they don't know this.

XP time to hit the coffin..Dont get me wrong XP is a good OS, but it's 3 OS's back with the upcoming Windows 8.

"XP time to hit the coffin..Dont get me wrong XP is a good OS, but it's 3 OS's back with the upcoming Windows 8."

Could not agree more. It's a stable, reliable OS, but still carries a lot of legacy weight from the NT time.

Now that Vista is nothing but past history, the migration to 7 is an advantageous step. Then in 2019, when windows 9 or 10 is out, we'll be transitioning to that OS, too.

I got into computers when Win2000 came out and i've had every Windows desktop OS since. Good or bad, that is the techie in me, and i don't regret any of em... even Vista post SP1.

"i don't regret any of em... even Vista post SP1" now that's dedication - I hate to say i did it too!

Maybe if Microsoft wants more people on Windows 7 they should stop charging 200 dollars for a fresh install, since most people aren't going to buy vista just so the $100 upgrade license will work.

"XP time to hit the coffin..Dont get me wrong XP is a good OS, but it's 3 OS's back with the upcoming Windows 8."
No, Vista would be one past XP, and Windows 7 would be 2 OSes past XP. You can't really count the zero OS as "one"

Try it with your fingers, but don't use a finger for XP..

captaincranky said:
No, Vista would be one past XP, and Windows 7 would be 2 OSes past XP. You can't really count the zero OS as "one"

Try it with your fingers, but don't use a finger for XP..

No, he's counting from Windows 8. Let's count back from 8.

1: WIndows 7
2: Windows Vista
3: Windows XP

3. 3 OSes. Ah ah ah.

@example1013: captaincranky capt said " Try it with your fingers, but don't use a finger for XP.. "

then, where is your error ?

3. 3 OSes. Ah ah ah.
And do either you, or "guest", have Windows 8? I mean other than some beta or a BS Frankenstein crack version?

Either that, or we have guests from the future, or you can't count either.

I mean really, if you want to spout a bunch of garbage, why not start counting from Windows 12.

And the two of you might get together and buy me a 3 pack of "Windows 7 Pro 64 bit" for Christmas..

I've always believed it was a more righteous path to, "put your money where your mouth is", than to, "put your mouth where someone else keeps their wallet"!.... :rolleyes:"!

captaincranky said:

3. 3 OSes. Ah ah ah.
And either you, or "guest", have Windows 8? I mean other than some beta or a BS crack version?

Either that, or we have guests from the future, or you can't count either.

I mean really, if you want to spout a bunch of garbage, why not start counting from Windows 12.

And the two of you might get together and buy me a 3 pack of "Windows 7 Pro 64 bit" for Christmas..

I've always believed it was a more righteous path to, "put your money where your mouth is", than to, "put your mouth where someone else keeps their wallet"!.... :rolleyes:"!

I was just explaining why said guest wasn't technically wrong. I wouldn't start counting from Windows 8 yet either myself, since it's not out yet, but you seemed to have missed that part, hence my pointing it out.

We could start from Windows 12 if you want, though. So given that WIndows 12 will come out eventually, Windows XP will at some pointbe 8 OSes behind.

We could start from Windows 12 if you want, though. So given that WIndows 12 will come out eventually, Windows XP will at some pointbe 8 OSes behind.
Well, you and "guest" want to play numbers games, do it with each other. I certainly don't want to, which is why I published my little math lesson in the first place!

Here's a little math lesson, especially designed for haugthy little technocrats that keep blasting though here, telling people what OS they should be using. Ready?

I have 5 PCs and a laptop. 3 PCs have Win XP. 2 PCs have Windows 7, and the lappy has Vista. So, I really don't need some ???? telling me what OS I should have, since all I have to do, is fire up the one that suits my mood. Can you?

This message was brought to you by a Windows PC, running "Windows 7, Home Premium". Now I think I'll go fire up my 6 year old eMachine with XP, and it'll tell you the same damned thing.

Should we not have a place for pre-historic computers like your eMachine, and one of the old (semi-dead) Pentium D's running XP I have gathering dust at work?

Back