Apple in talks to buy music service Lala?

By Matthew
Dec 4, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apple is reportedly eyeing the online music service Lala for acquisition, according to sources close to the situation. Lala lets users listen to any song on the site once free, after which customers can buy the track for $0.10. The catch is that users can only listen to the purchased songs on the Web. Tracks are stored in the "cloud" rather than being downloaded to the user's computer.

Read the whole story
  2. Boogityboo04

Boogityboo04 Newcomer, in training Posts: 351

Oh no, I like lala and don't want apple to ruin it.
  3. And they definitely will muck it up with their proprietary culture.
  4. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 676   +41

id expect the price to go from .10 cents to atleast .50 bc thats apple for ya
  5. buttus

buttus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 187

Apple is slowly buying up all the small online music distributors. They have a ton of cash and are eating all the small fish. It's just a matter of time before they start to buy the record labels to cut out the middle man.
  6. BlindObject

BlindObject Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

Lala? LOL! Apple would.
  7. lfg18

lfg18 Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

Apple has been growing fast in the last years, it has no rival in the MP3 players market, ipods are everywhere, and is also growing with other offerings of hardware, now it is trying to dominate the online market, that's not good at all, they need competitors to keep the prices low, if they do not have someone to compete with we will have to pay whatever they want for the songs, so that would make us chose between them or the torrents with the RIIA on our tail, haha, noting good can come from that.
  8. lfg18

lfg18 Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

Apple has been growing fast in the last years, it has no rival in the MP3 players market, ipods are everywhere, and is also growing with other offerings of hardware, now it is trying to dominate the online market, that's not good at all, they need competitors to keep the prices low, if they do not have someone to compete with we will have to pay whatever they want for the songs, so that would make us chose between them or the torrents with the RIIA on our tail, haha, noting good can come from that.
  9. trainhappy

trainhappy Newcomer, in training

10. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Newcomer, in training Posts: 84

11. levar

levar Newcomer, in training Posts: 232

wow, thats just wonderful! =/ There's gonna be a lot of changes on lala now I was just getting use to it. Though I think it a good move.

12. UglyChild

UglyChild Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

I have never heard of lala in the first place.
  13. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Hope they don't just shut it down. I haven't used Lala before but it could be interesting if Apple integrates a third option to purchase or subscription. Seems like it would get complicated though for users to have songs from all three.
  14. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,036   +91

Why do they need Lala when itunes is already doing very well. Was it that hard to implement something similar into itunes? And i also don't like the idea of not being able to download what i buy from them. Without an internet connection i won't be able to listen to those songs.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.