Apple in talks to buy music service Lala?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Apple is reportedly eyeing the online music service Lala for acquisition, according to sources close to the situation. Lala lets users listen to any song on the site once free, after which customers can buy the track for $0.10. The catch is that users can only listen to the purchased songs on the Web. Tracks are stored in the "cloud" rather than being downloaded to the user's computer.

Lala offers access to some 8 million songs, including content from EMI Music, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group, and Warner Music Group. This compares to the 11 million songs available through Apple's iTunes service, which operates in 23 countries and is claimed to be the world's largest music retailer.

Details are scant, but sources suspect that Apple may be moving toward the introduction of a subscription model. "The Lala is somewhere between the two, of permanent ownership" and a subscription model note Larry Kenswil, a former Universal Music Group exec.

Permalink to story.

And they definitely will muck it up with their proprietary culture.

Apple is slowly buying up all the small online music distributors. They have a ton of cash and are eating all the small fish. It's just a matter of time before they start to buy the record labels to cut out the middle man.

Apple has been growing fast in the last years, it has no rival in the MP3 players market, ipods are everywhere, and is also growing with other offerings of hardware, now it is trying to dominate the online market, that's not good at all, they need competitors to keep the prices low, if they do not have someone to compete with we will have to pay whatever they want for the songs, so that would make us chose between them or the torrents with the RIIA on our tail, haha, noting good can come from that.

Apple has been growing fast in the last years, it has no rival in the MP3 players market, ipods are everywhere, and is also growing with other offerings of hardware, now it is trying to dominate the online market, that's not good at all, they need competitors to keep the prices low, if they do not have someone to compete with we will have to pay whatever they want for the songs, so that would make us chose between them or the torrents with the RIIA on our tail, haha, noting good can come from that.

wow, thats just wonderful! =/ There's gonna be a lot of changes on lala now I was just getting use to it. Though I think it a good move.

Hope they don't just shut it down. I haven't used Lala before but it could be interesting if Apple integrates a third option to purchase or subscription. Seems like it would get complicated though for users to have songs from all three.

Why do they need Lala when itunes is already doing very well. Was it that hard to implement something similar into itunes? And i also don't like the idea of not being able to download what i buy from them. Without an internet connection i won't be able to listen to those songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back