Apple in talks with cable operators to pipe content through Apple TV

By Jos
Aug 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. There has been a lot of speculation that Apple is going to enter the television hardware business. But according to a report from the Wall Street Journal, the company is exploring other ways to infiltrate people's living rooms around the……

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,022   +684

"Although the current plan involves? Apple?s set-top box, the Wall Street Journal says the technology could ultimately be embedded in a television if the Cupertino company decides to finally enter the market."

I don't see Apple going for this. They haven't yet supplied software without it being inside some Apple hardware. But unless they plan on offering something unique like paying for only the channels you plan to watch, I don't see why people will put up paying for another box with another remote (oh wait! Because it'll have an Apple Logo on it! Duh). Especially since the content will come over the internet like everything else that goes through my Bluray..
  3. RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye Newcomer, in training Posts: 56

BS, you do it for one, you do it for all.
  4. RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye Newcomer, in training Posts: 56

Exactly!!! Except for me I built an HTPC use that.
  5. I really don't see this happening. The cable providers and Apple together would have to completely change CableCARD firmware to allow it to run on anything other than Windows Media Center.

I'll wait for a Ceton Q (or build my own HTPC, I dunno).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.