Apple introduces higher fidelity 'Mastered for iTunes' section

By Shawn Knight
Feb 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Digital music has forever changed the way people listen to their favorite tunes but many artists and sound engineers have been unhappy with the quality of distributed tracks thus far.…

Read the whole story
  2. Oh great another way to squeeze money out of dumb customers -.-
  3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 629   +115

Yah for real. The article didn't say anything about prices but im sure it will suck. Why would I want to repurchase all my songs that I overpaid for in the first place? It's like they're trying to get us to pirate music.
  4. My word! iTunes is bloatware. Mac? Lolwut?
  5. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,172   +432

If the customer feels the price premium is justified, how are they being "dumb" exactly?
  6. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +42

The guest may be referring to the group of users who will end up thinking that getting the "higher fidelity" files will make it sound better on their phone/laptop speakers or $10 ear buds... It might, but it most likely won't make any difference in those situations.
  7. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

Cant wait to listen to some of this on my Sennheisers :) If I can afford it that is :-|
  8. marinkvasina

marinkvasina TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 259   +9

random haters are random, don't mind the guest.
  9. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,172   +432

Hard to argue with your logic, sir. But sometimes the guests bite the hook...Makes for some fun every now and then, so I had to go for it.
  10. But what exactly is different? 96khz? 24bit? Surround? Uncompressed? Or it is just "high fidelity" and that's it?
  11. If it's comparable to wav or flac and if you have good cans then it could be worth it for some.

12. Doesn't iTunes already offer audio files in ALAC format for this exact reason?

"But what exactly is different? 96khz? 24bit? Surround? Uncompressed? Or it is just "high fidelity" and that's it?"

My understanding from the referenced PDF document is this: 'Mastered for itunes' (AAC Plus) files are "resampled" from XXkhz to 44.1khz from the master. The AAC plus file is not dithered, so it should be 24bit if the master was 24bit.

After the "Sample Rate Conversion" which converts the master to 44.1kHz, the encoding process presumably reduces the bitrate.
  13. Xero07

Xero07 Newcomer, in training Posts: 93

You can hear more cowbell.
  14. it's all marketing smoke and mirrors.
    iTunes will still be selling you a piece of crap compressed file.
    The only real difference is that the piece of crap is made from a better source.

Nice marketing try Apple, but no cigar.
  15. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 186

good, now if we can get companies to realize how crappy 1080p is and start moving on from it..
  16. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 815   +18

Ever heard of vinyl? Also, this is just why my brother worked all his life and has no money to his name. He bought the vinyl single, the album, the 8 track, the cassette, the cd, and now multiple downloads? He has vhs, cable, dvd, and now blu-ray. He hardly listens to or watches any of them.
  17. Yes, but can you hear More Barn!
  18. captainawesome, you're making me salivate! LOL

I too can't wait hear some of that noise! ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.