Apple iOS 8: Better desktop integration, new keyboard, a ton of developer features, coming this fall

By Shawn Knight
Jun 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple on Monday kicked off its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. Craig Federighi drew the assignment of unveiling one of the biggest highlights of the keynote, iOS 8.

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,108   +1,377

The number of software updates announced was staggering, memo to stagnant MS who just announced their failure to deliver one update people were begging for more than a year - the Start menu.

That's MS bending over for Apple. All things considered, MS in medicine stands for Multiple Sclerosis, becomes somewhat appropriate here too.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  3. axiomatic13

axiomatic13 TS Booster Posts: 88   +30

iOS is tired. It needs a total overhaul.
  4. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 735   +259

Heh, some of these features have been on my BB10 device for a while now.
    And an update to the keyboard stuff finally? I do not know 1 person who legitimately likes autocorrect lol
  5. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Booster Posts: 220   +14

iOS has been pretty much the same exact thing since it came out. With only a couple of changes and upgrades for every version. IMHO, I think that they should just start again from scratch and make something new and more modern with a different style.

That is part of the reason why I never bought an iPhone. Ive always gone Android. Especially when I bought my first iTouch. I realized that its the SAME OS. The only difference is that you cant make calls.
  6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Finally support for 3rd party keyboards. The new APIs introduced are truly great. I cannot wait for developers to exploit the features to the fullest.
  7. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

And no one cares to use or knows how to use any of it. I know someone with an iphone for 3 years and he still hasn't set up his voice mail yet.
  8. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 272   +127

Oh my God, it's almost like Android has had these features out for a long while.... again.

It never ceases to amaze me how Apple's 'enhancements' are always simple catch-ups to modern technology..
  9. JordLevy

JordLevy TS Member

Kinda did, what else could you change lol.

New APIs, new Graphics engine...

All right there man.
  10. Widgets, app video previews, and support for third party keyboards, Apple is playing catch up to Android. Seems really bizarre how Jobs said that Android was a stolen product and how he would "go thermonuclear" and now Apple is copying Android features (and has been for a while, remember the notification center?) , and Apple won't actually litigate against Google because they know they have the resources to defend themselves (thus the so called "cease-fire") so they prey on smaller companies like Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc.
  11. Seems like Jobs was the only person who had original ideas, now Apple is going the way all corporations go: "Hey, company X did Y, it seems to make money, we do Y too". Even if it's ugly, stupid or the customers will hate. Another headless stomach, welcome to the race. Amazing how rare in American capitalism people who have brains get into a managerial position.
  12. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Wasn't sure if this was sarcasm or not but if it isn't then you may want to look at this -

I can't think of any situation where you would call Samsung a small company
  13. m31n3m3n3

m31n3m3n3 TS Rookie

So, apples's new trend is to go vintage, a get a closer look to those ancient win 8 tiles...
    #vintage mac ?!?!

14. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,108   +1,377

I may have been a bit harsh and/or excited on the day, but many changes were very good. And when MS announced on the same day they are not even going to get us the menu they promised, it all looked really bad.