Apple iPhone 4 buyers reporting display, antenna problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

The much-anticipated iPhone 4 made its official debut today as thousands of gadget-loving folks lined up outside their local Apple, AT&T or Best Buy store to try and get a hold of the device -- whether they had pre-ordered one or not. Although reactions from early buyers have been mostly positive, there are already scattered reports of defective units, mainly regarding the high resolution Retina Display and the new steel antenna band that runs around the edges.

It's unclear how widespread these problems are, but at the time of writing both Gizmodo and MacRumors have received more than two dozen reports from new iPhone 4 owners who say there is a discolored area on their screens, or an overall yellow hue to the entire display even after adjusting the phone's display settings. The images below aren't the best quality, but they do help illustrate the yellow spots and bands new owners are experiencing. In many cases, Apple has reportedly offered to replace units for customers with screen issues -- though they won't be getting their replacement today.

The other problem being widely reported involves the iPhone's wireless reception. Apparently there is a problem with the new antenna design -- which ironically enough was touted to boost the device's signal -- that sees reception drop considerably, sometimes from 5 to 1 bar or none at all, when users hold the metal ring around the iPhone 4. There's no definite answer as to what is causing the problem, but some say it happens when a user's hand connects the different metal sections of the antenna (it's broken into three pieces with small gaps in between).

A few hiccups are to be expected with any major product launch, particularly one as popular as the new iPhone. It remains to be seen how widespread these issues really are, and in the case of the iPhone's wireless reception, if it's strictly hardware related or if this is something can be addressed with a software patch.

Update: According to a forum post at AppleInsider, the yellowish screen issue is caused by a bonding agent used in the display's layers of glass. Apparently, Foxconn is shipping these products so quickly that the bonding agent has not yet fully dried following the manufacturing process. We can't confirm the legitimacy of the source or its claims, but supposedly the issue should resolve itself after a day or two of use.

Permalink to story.

For a company committed to only offering the best products with a commitment to quality they certainly have missed the mark here. Both of those issues never should have made it past standard quality control and testing procedures. It seems to me that the production shortage issue and now this one are related and that in an effort to get more product to the market on time they chose to ship substandard units instead of pushing back a release date they couldn't keep.

"Apparently there is a problem with the new antenna design ... when users hold the metal ring around the iPhone 4."

Oh, you mean every single time the person has to make a phone call? Soooo glad I'm waiting to jump on this bandwagon.

I think Apple should have spent less time making things "magical" and more time studying things like science... I just have to laugh at the whole issue with left-handed users having dropped calls constantly - that "revolutionary approach" of putting the antennae into the metal bands of the case that Apple continually patted themselves on the back and bragged about how smart and clever they were during the product launch speeches, well that just seems to be biting them on the butt right now. Probably should have spent less time self-aggrandizing and more time, oh, I don't know, TESTING things before pushing a launch? Maybe that's just me.

CORRECTION:
A few hiccups are to be expected with Apple's major product launch, particularly one as popular as the new iPhone.

Another example and reason why I think apple is so incompetent. Just like the problems with the ipad wireless where apple blamed every router on the planet. No it's not the apple products fault it's everyone elses. Well now since this is definitely a hardware problem(you can't download a better antenna) they have nobody to blame but themselves.

princeton said:
Well now since this is definitely a hardware problem(you can't download a better antenna) they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Doubt it. They blamed iPad issues on people's routers, the iPhone wifi didn't work during it's demo because people were on the wifi connection on their computers...Apple is the master at putting the blame somewhere else. I think they'll find someone to blame. I can see Steve Jobs blaming technicians at Apple for not thoroughly checking for issues. Because Jobs may not understand that their mistakes are his mistakes. He's the leader, and the leaders always take the blame.

So Steve...what's it gonna be? Are you gonna be a mature adult take the blame, apologize, and fix the issue? Or are you gonna put the blame somewhere else?

Oh...and what about security? Still working on secret security updates so your users don't realize that they are now in danger of spyware and viruses? You're running a great business Hitler...oops, I mean Jobs. Sorry, I got a little confused there for a minute :p

I heard Apple is trying to shift away from shaving unicorn horn into their products and instead implementing the much cheaper rabbits foot. New campaign slogan: "Roll the dice!"

Apple needs someone to blame... Must... Have... Scapegoat... Hmmmmmmmm....

Looks like lefties may become the new lower class. They are obviously inferior, since they can't use a new iPhone without having calls dropped. Maybe it's actually divine intervention, proving they are evil. Either way, it's all their fault! Apple's good name is cleared! Huzzah!

@Vrmithrax Apple will blame the half asleep worker at a Chinese factory that worked a 18 hour shift

In all seriousness this situation shows why it is never a good idea to preorder a new gadget without real world performance tests.

Guest said:
@Vrmithrax Apple will blame the half asleep worker at a Chinese factory that worked a 18 hour shift

Ah, good catch... Let's combine our theories - Apple will blame the half asleep LEFT-HANDED worker at the Chinese factory.... Yah, that has a nice ring to it...

In all seriousness this situation shows why it is never a good idea to preorder a new gadget without real world performance tests.

Too true... I always try wait for the first-off-the-line products to clear inventory before I dive into something seriously... I never go just by hype on a product - it might create interest for me, but hype and previews of prototypes are not indicative of actual delivered goods. You can't beat real world testing and consumer experience reports for a true feel of how a product will be.

RuskiSnajper said:
CORRECTION:
A few hiccups are to be expected with Apple's major product launch, particularly one as popular as the new iPhone.

Well said. It's sad that typical mediocrity quality testing with high style value is the typical product release from Apple. Even the packaging looks like it had more thought put in to it than the product testing itself. I always thought that Apple was excellent at design, but poor with execution. The good news is that those iPhone early adopters spent about twice the dollar value on the product so Apple can replace the defective parts and make it appear that they're giving you a freebie.

The people who are buying the cool new Android phones for $0.01 at Amazon are laughing their butts off at you Apple early adopters! Must feel bad to be a chumped by style and hype.

Lol, appearantly if you hold your Iphone 4 in the wrong spot you lose reception and what not, this being from the CEO himself. Here is a link for quotes from the genius (just kidding)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2844

Steve Jobs should hold the iPhone 4 above his head when there is lightning. He will have a more electrifying personality afterward.

What's the rush to be first in the market, but they're doing the same like Microsoft has done for years. The produce is not getting fully tested. You should not have these issues, but they don't care about the consumer only to make more profits. That expensive tech should be free of trouble, but looks like it's not!

Dropped WiFi signal at WWDC was no fluke then. While the old 3GS worked and the new antenna that was supposed to solve all those problems.... didn't. I heard Jobs wrote an iBook to be only released to those who buy an CrApple iPad. It's titled, "How to Hold Your iPhone4 for Dummies" and sells for just $9.99!

.....but WAIT for just $30 more we'll send you a Genuine Apple iNazi (made w/ Genuine Chinese Worker Blood) Rubber Baby Bumper in assorted "I Bleed 6 Colors" to choose from! .....but WAIT, if you order now at no cost we've already included our New Retina EyePS screen that's Guaranteed to bleed the Yellow blood of the Chinese who made your screen in blotches and spots absolutely FREE!

Notice: This offer is limited by how many Chinese Workers we drive to commit suicide, so get yours today!!! xD

Good thing they have soooo low price to make up for the product being so flawed.

Oh wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back