Apple iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S now official: a few surprises in both hardware and software

By Shawn Knight
Sep 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple on Tuesday unveiled two new iPhones during a special presentation held at the company’s campus in Cupertino, California. As rumors leading up to the event correctly speculated, the iPhone 5S will be Apple’s flagship handset for the coming year...

Read more
  2. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

Hmm How much is the 5c to buy outright?
  3. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Posts: 2,042   +62 Staff Member

Fbarnett hasn't been announced yet, should be up on Apple's website soon. Since it replaces the iPhone 5 my guess is it will be $550 off contract.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

I don't know if I'm going mad here but the story ends in "developing..." and no details about the 5s?

I guess they haven't been announced yet?

Edit, never mind, I'll refresh the screen every 5 minutes ;)
    ETF Soldier likes this.
  5. Fbarnett

The 5s replaces a Iphone 5
    The 5c is a cheaper version I heard it was 300 to 400 but nothing official
  6. Burty117

Did you seriously not read the article?

"The iPhone 5C will be a direct replacement for the iPhone 5 and is made with all the technology of that device.

And...

"priced at $99 for the 16GB model and $199 for the 32GB variant – both with a two year service agreement."

Can't believe I just had to quote that...
    ghasmanjr and Blkfx1 like this.
  7. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 879   +170

^ That was hilarious. Anyways, I would like to know more about this iPhone 5S.
  8. Fbarnett

Ok yes I can read the article. But as I stated a lot of other articles just say it uses the uphone5 hard hardware and since its plastic it would be cheaper. Since when would a plastic cheaper phone be a direct replacement for their flagship phone? Don't mean to cause a argument.
    I would never own this crap but my daughter wants one and I want to buy it outright.
    Thanks all
  9. Burty117

1) It's Apple
    2) If the prices in the article are correct then logically, this will cost the same as the iPhone 5 outright
    3) You'd be mad to buy one of these if that truly is the price
    4) It's Apple
    ghasmanjr, St1ckM4n and RenGood08 like this.
  10. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,283   +229

Oh lord, I can just imagine how the forums and comments on other sites will be blowing up... Apple fanatics have used the "it's so plasticky" argument against many of the low and middle end Android handsets, and now the shoe is on the other foot. Carnage shall ensue!
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  11. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,697   +873

64bit CPU? Awesome. I was really hoping that they would change the Settings and camera icon in iOS7 though.

Overall, awesome to see that the iPhone 5S actually makes sense. S for Speed.

As for the iPhone 5C, I would rather take the iPhone 5 with an aluminum body. I really dont get why they replaced it.

I wonder if they have finally increased the RAM to 2GB in the 5S.

12. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 240   +11

Please correct "And for the first time, iWorks, iPhone and iMovie will be made available free of charge for all iOS 7 users."

It should be iPhoto. :)
  13. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,511   +308

In case you haven't been hitting that refresh button, we've now added mostly everything there's to know about the handsets (at least for now) with high-res pictures.
  14. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +495

Im interested in the 5S model, sounds like a nice improvement all around, I agree with the comments though, whats with the iPhone 5 rehash at that price lol.
  15. JC713

Yeah, the plastic body<Aluminum body. I dont get it. I guess they want a bigger profit margin vs if they had the iPhone 5 for $99.
  16. JC713

Any word on if the 5S has 2GB of RAM vs 1GB?

But what is the point of 64bit if you only have 1GB of RAM?
  17. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

I like how the 5C is basically a shelless iphone with a polycarbonate casing, which most users buy after they buy their iphone for casing protection. they basically just installed a case for you right out of the factory. seems like a very practical piece of hardware. I am not sure what the outter casing material is made of for the 5S, if it's still the same glass based material. if so, I would venture to guess the 5C will be a more physically durable phone to have than the 5S, that's if the 5s still has the glass outter shell.
  18. JC713

Well, buying a case kind of takes the prettiness away from the phone, but a case is necessary if you do not have one of those replacement plans.

19. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,012   +683

Kudos to Apple on the 64 bit chip, they were the first to put one in a PC too if I remember right. Their presentation showed the benefits for games and 3D graphics.

Not too surprised on the pricing for the 5C though. Apple doesn't release inexpensive products. A low price tag conveys a certain cheap-ness of the product, and Apple will protect their brand, even if it means far fewer customers in emerging markets. The 32GB 5C is the same price as a 32GB HTC One. And Apple STILL prices their phones $100 apart for 16GB of storage. When will people stop putting up with this?
  20. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 709   +28

Interesting. Got my iPhone 5. See how the price and performance of both new models equates. Maybe replace my missus iPhone 4S with a 5c
  21. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 505   +133

I can't imagine the battery life being very good when you actually come anywhere close to using that cpu to its full potential...
  22. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

Underwhelming update to say the least. Camera is still 8mp lol. If your on welfare and food stamps, you too can have the new iphone, the 5C.
  23. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,385   +607

Last-gen iPhones usually drop $100. So iPhone 5 should be $550. Yet, iPhone 5C is $550. Same specs, zero new features, heavier.

Wat.
  24. mctommy

mctommy Newcomer, in training Posts: 92   +10

Shouldn't they give money with the iPhone 4 and free for iPhone 4S? Because who would want iPhone 4 for free when you should be able to get the iPhone 4S for free.

2-year Contract prices:

iPhone 5S - $199.00
    iPhone 5C - $99.00
    iPhone 4S - $0.00
    iPhone 4 - $99.00 rebate (or something like that)
  25. Tokido

Tokido Newcomer, in training

iPhone 5C 16GB will cost $599 unlocked according to Canadian Apple Store. $720 for 32GB...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.