TechSpot

Apple iTunes accounts hacked, used to cheat ranking system

By Jos
Jul 5, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A rogue Vietnamese developer reportedly hacked into iTunes accounts and used them to purchase his book apps, thus artificially boosting their ratings and sales in Apple's App Store. Both The Next Web and Engadget covered the story over the weekend and noted that, at one point, the high volume of sales propelled Nguyen's apps to take over 40 of the top 50 book app slots in the store. According to The Next Web, up to $1400 has been spent on some users' accounts.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Good job. Maybe steve jobs will get off his stack of gold bars and admit he ****ed up the iphone as a result to this. Now I'm wondering if the people hacked will get some sort of reimbursement depending on the severity of the amount taken.
  3. And this is another of many reason why i continue to use Nokia product.
  4. paynetrain007

paynetrain007 TS Rookie Posts: 86

Haha. What happened to Apple products being unhackable... Who wants to bet that Apple's servers for Itunes are all on Apple Servers.... hmmm how did that happen :p
  5. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

Thats the truth if your a fanboy that only listens to what Apple officially releases, because basically they never admit it and if you read nothing else you never know. They even give "security updates" for OSX and refuse to go into detail over what the update fixed 99% of the time. The 1%? Its flash/java/your non-safari browsers fault.
  6. i guess this is one more reason for people to drop apple for a better alternative, say android or winMo gadgets, but some people are just obsessed about apple products;
    i personnally have a winMo device, htc diamond, and i am very satisfied, never worry about a problem of this kind.
  7. Apple/macs are real easy to hack.

"They are so easy to hack, people don't bother to hack them" - Steve Jobs (real quote)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.