Apple launches 2011 Back to School promotion: $100 gift card

By Emil
Jun 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has finally announced its 2011 Back to School promotion, which runs from June 16, 2011 to September 20, 2011. The deal comes with a significant change: instead of a…

Read the whole story
  2. Other companies do this with a thing called a "sale".
  3. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

I actually think this promo is pretty clever. Everybody know about the iPod Touch and everybody know the iPod brand so there really is no incentive to market it/give it away with a new Mac if you have other products that may benefit from a similar exposure.

The Mac App Store is pretty new and not everyone is aware of it especially if you might compare it to the iOS App Store. It would be safe to assume that currently the Mac App Store sales are pretty low compared to their other online stores and Apple wants it to be the one-stop place for all OS X software.

In the consumer point of view of course I would prefer a free iPod Touch but for Apple this is great for business and a great way to get people to use the Mac App Store especially since they are also releasing all their software (Lion, iLife, iWork, etc.) through it.
  4. I still think that M$ offer is better. Get a new computer and the XBox 360 for free.
  5. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 594   +50

Plus you only have to spend $700, not $1000.
  6. Why not spend $700 for a MS box and put dual boot with a copy of Mac OS (hackintosh) and you got the best of both worlds and a MUCH faster machine than even a $1000 Mac ever be.

P.S. Yes, I know that running a hackintosh it is in violation of Snow leopard EULA even if you purchased a retail DVD from the Apple store, which is a whole different discussion...
  7. Have you ever tried to run a hackintosh? Its a pain in the *** on most systems. Only certain ones will have the best compatibility. Then you also have issues with updates etc. If you want the Apple product and OSX buy a Mac and run windows via bootcamp or if you want only windows then you get an xbox 360 along with it. Simple as that.
  8. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

And you get a same or better spec computer for $700.
  9. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

Game stop violates EULAs all the time. Also, most sale prices for laptops are $450 so you're not really getting anything when you get a "free" xbox 360.
  10. Panda218

Panda218 TS Addict Posts: 263   +92

LOL you gotta stop shopping at walmart
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

Oh s***, I new there wuz a reason I shoulda enrolled me in reform skool this year! A hole hunnerd dollers back frum Aphole...........:haha:
  12. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 265

Good luck finding an OEM PC that's compatible with OSX. It's a pain in the *** even to build one, nevermind find a pre-built one that'll run it.

I don't mind the idea of using a hackintosh since I enjoy OSX. It's just a pain to do, though.
  13. very nice center