Apple launches iTunes 11.1 with iTunes Radio, iOS 7 ahead of new iPhones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The latest version of iTunes is now available for download and with it comes Apple’s long-awaited music streaming service. The update also includes support for iOS 7 devices and seeing as how the new mobile OS just went live, you’ll want to pick up version 11.1 of iTunes if you plan to sync your device(s) with your computer.

iTunes Radio is perhaps most like Pandora in that it offers custom “radio stations” based on artists, song or genres. There are 250 preset stations available from the get-go should you not want to fool with creating a custom station right away.

apple itunes itunes radio ios iphones iphone ipad ipod touch ios 7 itunes 11.1

iTunes Radio can be enjoyed ad-free for those that have subscribed to iTunes Match at $24.99 per year. That’s a good bit cheaper than the $8-10 per month that other services charge but there are a few notable features missing as of writing (offline mode). Of course, iTunes Radio is also available free of charge but you can expect a fairly regular dose of audio and visual ads mixed into the experience.

In related news, iOS 7 is now available for download for compatible iPhones, iPads and iPod touches. This free update has been thoroughly picked through by the media ever since it was shown off at WWDC back in June so I’ll spare you the details. In summary, the software is described as having a much more flat design with an emphasis on text and colors – an anti-skeuomorphic UI, if you will.

iTunes 11.1 download: Windows or Mac.

Permalink to story.

iOS7 it's great. My GF has it and after owning an Android for a long time, I'm seriously pondering getting the 5s. Just waiting to see what the Nexus 5 and Kitkat bring to the table.

I tried downloading iOS 7 my iPad Retina (3) and it bombed out right at the very end. The iPad was frozen with the iTunes logo showing in the center of the screen and a picture of a USB cable pointing at it. iTunes wouldn't recognize the iPad anymore so I was dead in the water. After several attempts to re-establish a connection, I finally connected my iPhone 4S to the PC and discovered iTunes wouldn't recognize it anymore either. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes but that didn't help. To resolve, I had to uninstalled every Apple application, delete every Apple directory on my hard drive and then reinstall iTune. Finally it would see both the iPhone and iPad. It said the iPad had a corrupted OS so it deleted everything and reinstalled the OS as from day one. It seems to be working but I can't get past the activation point because all Apple servers are too busy. I'm attempting to update my iPhone as I type this. I hope it doesn't have any issues.

Update: installation to iPhone successful. iPad restoration also successful. I really like the new look although I can't wait for the Surface Pro 2 release so I can ditch the iPad (hand-me-down for the wife) for a device I can do more with.

iOS7 is still baby-ing you. What is this, I don't even.... why not just show me the damn appointment???

"Tomorrow: Your calendar looks clear in the morning. There is one event scheduled for 4pm."

In other areas, not very polished: swipe-up menu doesn't work unless you swipe at a really fast speed; lag; passcode doesn't stop people from messing with your camera settings or clearing reminders..

Been using iOS7 since yesterday afternoon and while there are a few features that have FINALLY arrived, the update was disappointing. The new flat color theme makes the phone look like my daughters Fisher Price toy phone. Every good feature that was added in this update have all been standard on Android for a long time. The drag-down and pull-up menus (while good in concept) are flawed in their execution. All animations (while running on 4s) are laggy and don't add anything beneficial to the overall look of the interface.

All in all, not a terrible update. Being able to turn on a built-in flashlight from a pull-up menu accessible from the lock screen as well as the main screen is handy. Along with being able to turn on and off wifi\bluetooth\airplane-mode\Do Not Disturb and Rotation lock from the pull-up menu are welcome additions.

I definitely don't see any reason to switch from Android (the nexus version anyway) to the iPhone unless you like having a dated interface with no ability for customization.

On the upside, I can now put Newsstand in a folder with no tweaking :)

Been using iOS7 since yesterday afternoon and while there are a few features that have FINALLY arrived, the update was disappointing. The new flat color theme makes the phone look like my daughters Fisher Price toy phone. Every good feature that was added in this update have all been standard on Android for a long time. The drag-down and pull-up menus (while good in concept) are flawed in their execution. All animations (while running on 4s) are laggy and don't add anything beneficial to the overall look of the interface.

All in all, not a terrible update. Being able to turn on a built-in flashlight from a pull-up menu accessible from the lock screen as well as the main screen is handy. Along with being able to turn on and off wifi\bluetooth\airplane-mode\Do Not Disturb and Rotation lock from the pull-up menu are welcome additions.

I definitely don't see any reason to switch from Android (the nexus version anyway) to the iPhone unless you like having a dated interface with no ability for customization.

On the upside, I can now put Newsstand in a folder with no tweaking :)

There are many reasons to switch from Android to iOS. Just like there are many reason to switch from iOS to Android.

You wouldn't understand, because you are not part of that particular demographic.

iOS7 is still baby-ing you. What is this, I don't even.... why not just show me the damn appointment???

"Tomorrow: Your calendar looks clear in the morning. There is one event scheduled for 4pm."

In other areas, not very polished: swipe-up menu doesn't work unless you swipe at a really fast speed; lag; passcode doesn't stop people from messing with your camera settings or clearing reminders..

Those bugs will be polished soon man. They had to apply a new coat of paint to everything, there are gonna be issues.

Is it me or does the new iOS theme look a lot like Microsoft Outlook.com and other Windows 8 apps? Is Apple copying MS? Actually, I'm very impressed with the way it looks and functions. Some of the new features are very handy.

Back