Apple may be working on physical gaming controller for the iPad

By Shawn Knight
Apr 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple is rumored to be working on a gaming controller for the iPad. During their new iPad review, Anand Lal Shimpi from Anandtech said he was aware of an internal…

Read the whole story
  2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

I can't see Apple releasing this. It just doesn't jive with their overall attitude towards design and entertainment. Now, if they were to suddenly dive into gaming - for example, adding OnLive to Apple TV - then all bets would be off. However, that's a set-top box - I still think they'd try to come up with a dock that supported wireless controllers before they'd let an iPad support them directly. Apple doesn't want people to *really* have the full power of a computer or game system in a tablet, because then they couldn't sell you a Macbook and the rest of their overpriced gear.
  3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Can't see this happening, it would be like a step backwards for Apple, after all they popularised all the touchscreen gestures etc.

Also how are you supposed to hold the iPad while also using a controller?
  4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,248   +220

Maybe it attaches to the iPAD or something? Most likely.

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

I remember a friend of mine using a wii controller to play games on his.

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Nvm, it was an Android xD
  7. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

Sounds pretty dumb...
  8. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Well I have noticed that a controller would make some of the apple apps more playable. I have both Ipad2 and Motorla Xoom. Both of which could definatly use a controller for better gameplay. Prime example.....I play Wizardry V on my Android tablet. Yes its a throwback game.....But its controls are WAY too close to the back button on my tablet. A controller would allow me to play the game w/o accidentally shutting down the game im playing.
    To answer everyone comments on how would you use a controller and a tablet at the same time. Use a dock or one of those nifty laptop holder/coolers you see at RadioShack.
  9. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,824   +876

they will create a controller then sue everyone who has one that looks like it. "It was our idea to mount buttons, analog sticks, a D-pad and triggers on this piece of plastic"
  10. Issun

Issun TS Rookie Posts: 17

inb4 they name it "iGame"
  11. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,824   +876

So many people reference that website and they know they shouldn't. Summer's almost here, don't cha' know?
  12. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

I like it!
    Although i assume the final product will be shinier :)
  13. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

14. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 456   +54

Design evolution decides to get rid of the physical controls... then realises that we actually need them for proper input.
  15. doesnt the steel series ion controller work with the ipad?