TechSpot

Apple may invest $1 billion in Sharp LCD plant, report says

By Shawn Knight
Aug 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple may be looking to invest as much as $1 billion in Japanese corporation Sharp in an effort to secure a stable supply of LCD screens for iPhones and iPads.…

Read the whole story

2. JohnnyNonStop

JohnnyNonStop TS Rookie

Invest in Japan! I loves them guys over there!

3. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

Hopefully a $1 billion investment will give a little shot to the economy over there, even if just for the local area around the factory.

4. I'd just stick with the two big players Samsung and LG, but I'm not sure if LCD is worth investing too much in considering it's being phased out especially in mobile devices. If I were apple I'd go crying to Samsung right about now.

5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +329

iPhone is in its Sixth Generation? Really?

I thought it went a bit like this:

iPhone(1) iPhone3G(2) iPhone3GS(3) iPhone4(4)

Or do Apple really work on the next - next phone? and decide who will be producing the parts??

6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I'd imagine they're two steps ahead of the current model, as design and parts sourcing takes time. You'd essentially end up with 1 on the market, 1 in testing phase, and one in design phase, which would make a lot of sense in my mind. Whether thats true or not I don't know, but any other way could essentially catch them with their pants down. :haha:

7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +329

Aahh! Sorry, I'm tired and wasn't thinking :)

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Oh goody, now I can vehemently hate two companies I'll never buy anything from, in one gigantic malicious thought.

9. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

Meh why not, they have the money and I'm sure Sharp could use the cash infusion.

10. What about investing in the USA for a change? Sure Japan is hurting and could use the help, but we have very talented people unemployed here as well. Come on Apple think of the people in your biggest market. No jobs = no income = no Apple sales.

Just a thought.

11. 63Jax

63Jax TS Rookie Posts: 67

loool, they are afraid now because Samsung may not sell them LCDs from now on. why did they started a "war" with Samsung only God knows! Dumb asses...

12. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

I think iPhone 5 is coming out this year, possible September I've heard. So its plans would be final and put to manufacturing about now. Leaving the 6th and next generation of iPhone under design and material analysis.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.