Apple moves Google out, makes Bing default search engine for Siri

Dave LeClair

While most web users think of Google as the go to search engine, Apple is putting its ball in Bing's court, at least as far as Siri is concerned. During Apple's keynote at WWDC, plenty of new iOS 7 features were announced, and one that few people probably noticed was that Siri would be able to explore Wikipedia and Twitter. More surprising was the revelation that it would also be able to use Bing to search directly. 

After Apple's press conference, Microsoft provided some more information in regards to how the integration will work. When users ask Siri a question, either a specific answer or web search results will be delivered to the user. Bing, and depending on the inquiry, some of its other integrated search partners, will be responsible for the answer.

Microsoft says it's "thrilled that all the great results people have come to know and love on Bing.com will now be available to Siri users on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch." 

Google is likely to remain the default search engine for iOS devices, at least through Safari. It remains to be seen what happens if a user directly asks Siri to 'search the web'. Will it use Bing, since that is Siri's default, or will it use the engine chosen by the user? It seems likely that questions asked without telling Apple's voice assistant to search the web directly will lead to Bing, and others will go through the user's selected search engine.

If the Bing integration goes well it could lead to a huge spike in search traffic for Microsoft's search engine. It could even spell the end of Google as the default search engine on Apple devices, but only time will tell.

Permalink to story.

Probably more that Microsoft is paying them a billion dollars to use it.

Besides, Bing is better in someways. It is 5 times more likely to download a virus.

Looks like Apple decided there are only so many enemies it can fight off and did an under-the-table handshake with one of them.

If I read into this correctly, Apple is keen on aggressive integration of their products into a web search engine, and Google wants an arm and a leg for this from Apple, while Microsoft in its weakening position is willing to offer a good deal to Apple for mutual advantage.

This is really the first one, and I'm not sure I want to see search results in Apple products coming from Bing. Let's see for how long this pact will last though...

Seriously Apple... Deciding not to use the most popular and accurate search engine in the World right now. When will they learn... The Apple Map thing went pretty well when they dumped Google. Lets see how long this one will last...

From what I understand, Schmidt, who was on the board of Apple at the time and is no longer (coincidence?), had personally promised Steve Jobs that he wasn't interested in the phone space (conflict of interest anyone) and Steve promised in return to stay out of the search arena. Then Schmidt turned around and stabbed Steve right in the back and Steve vowed his revenge. He continues to reach up from beyond the grave with this decision. I feel Apple is doing the right thing and the Goog's head man has an integrity problem which will probably continue to plague Goog somewhat into the future. Apple Maps has gotten quite a bit better and many prefer it. It won't be long before Apple has it's own search engine too. Short term pain, long term gain.

There is no problem with Bing-Yahoo-Facebook pact. Why can't Apple join? The problem with Google is it wants to monopolize everything, encroaching on others territory via blantant copying of other's idea and offering it for free in order for you to hook up to their service. Since when did Google innovate? Nada. I want to see the day that Google will be irrelevant and get rid of freeloaders habit that made a lot of Google zombies. Bing is better and will even be better as more users will use it.

@Samalematina. Bing and Apple will last as partners to kill Google someday. Google will go back to drawing board, stop doing sidelines and concentrate on improving search instead since there search is getting stale and boring.

Seriously Apple... Deciding not to use the most popular and accurate search engine in the World right now. When will they learn... The Apple Map thing went pretty well when they dumped Google. Lets see how long this one will last...

At least with this one, they can just blame Microsoft if users don't like it as much :p

It actually seems a little embarrassing for Microsoft. Microsoft is so little of a threat that Apple is now promoting their ridiculously less popular search engine [1], just so they can squeeze a fraction more of Google out of their OS.

[1] http://www.karmasnack.com/about/search-engine-market-share/

Great. I though Apple hated MS and Google. Why didnt they go with their best friend Yahoo? Arent the stocks and weather apps made by them!?

Those of you who are even insinuating that Bing is superior to Google really need to stop snorting the Apple dust.

Apple and MS are literally responsible for making Google Search what it is, by not competing or creating alternatives. So, now when they are threatened, they are realizing their mistake and doing something about it. But that is just my take on this whole issue.

If you download a virus you have your antivirus to blame
If you download a virus, you only have yourself to blame. You can't lay blame on software when you yourself allowed the virus in. Let me say this another way. Anti-virus software is available to help keep you safe, so hopefully you won't find a need in blaming yourself.

Why? Bing is terrible and is significantly more likely to link you to malicious webpages, than Google search will.

Why? Bing is terrible and is significantly more likely to link you to malicious webpages, than Google search will.
I find it funny when you guys keep saying these things against Bing. However true it may be, I have no issues.

Bing is the only search engine I use. I always find what I'm looking for. I don't remember the last time, I was linked to a malicious webpage. But then I'm not in the habit of clicking every link, that comes across my monitor either.

If Google is honestly better at spotting malicious sites, why do we ignore this data and allow these malicious sites to continue functioning?

I find it funny when you guys keep saying these things against Bing. However true it may be, I have no issues.

Bing is the only search engine I use. I always find what I'm looking for. I don't remember the last time, I was linked to a malicious webpage. But then I'm not in the habit of clicking every link, that comes across my monitor either.

If Google is honestly better at spotting malicious sites, why do we ignore this data and allow these malicious sites to continue functioning?

Another joke that can admit Bing may link to malicious websites yet still keeps using it. And we wonder why companies take advantage of the stupid and ignorant. Do any of you even understand the definition of status quo and how its not always a good thing?

I really don't see this as a big deal but I am surprised in general that they are taking this step. I personally like google, and I will probably continue to use it anyway. But bings not bad, we will just have to see what the future holds.

You guys are all ridiculous, Apple literally made an Android copy of iOS and called it iOS 7 and you people think Apple hates Google. What you people fail to understand is that Steve Jobs is dead and Cook is a loser who has not done an innovative thing with the iPhone and iPad since Jobs died. Apple use to be the trend setter, now its the trend copier. But I wouldn't expect you ignorant people to even remember when Steve Jobs called 2011 the year of the copycats only to have Cook turn 2012 and 2013 into the years of the Apple copycat with a stupid twist like changing Google to Bing, making a failed map apps, removing Youtube and other Google apps from iOS only to have Google make an stand alone apps that now makes Google tons of money and to add insult to injury pretending all of it is innovation from Apple.

I think MS and Apple have an unspoken deal given some of the iOS 7 design decision... surely they have made them enough their own... but they have taken a lot from the Zune and Windows 8 playbook as much as and if on a lesser note the Android and WebOS side of things. Then again designers have for years created many of the interesting visuals that are being brought together on these mobile operating systems. It's just how you put the pieces together. And with this cross deal I think Bing was a card to play. For Apple gets to sting Google and Microsoft and Apple don't have to play the courts. Google users will not be stopped, but the majority of users that don't have a clue will use what is given.

Competition will do the market good. Not like Microsoft is making money with Bing hand over foot.

Back