Apple offers HDD repair program for old 13" MacBooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Does your 2006 or 2007-built MacBook have hard drive issues? It might be covered under a new repair extension program. Apple has determined that a small percentage of hard drives used in MacBooks sold between May 2006 and December 2007 may fail prematurely. The only model known to be affected is the 13-inch black and white MacBook with processor speeds of 1.83GHz, 2GHz, or 2.16GHz, and hard drive capacities of 60GB, 80GB, 100GB, 120GB, or 160GB.

If your 13-inch MacBook was purchased in that timeframe and shows a flashing question mark on the screen, Cupertino wants to hear from you. You can bring the system to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to determine if the drive is eligible for free replacement. The company is also offering some customers reimbursements for out-of-warranty repairs. Coverage is only extended for three years from the original purchase date or until August 15, 2010 (whichever is longer), so don't put it off.

Permalink to story.

Meh, I replaced mine as soon as it acted up... I'm like that with HDD's. Good part on Apple for offering it though it seems a bit late.

hey i'm fanny from Indonesia.. is it true? cos it happen to my macbook..

My sister had hers go bad, but i figured it was just bad luck and didn't look into it anymore, we just replaced it ourselves. Just recently the replacement one died. Replaced ourselves again, wish if you could prove you had to replace it yourself that they'd pay you or gift card or something.

And yes, 3 years is too late.

It seems like they are offering to reimburse some customers:

"Some customers may have paid for out of warranty repairs that qualify under this program. Apple will contact affected customers (where contact information is available) with details on the reimbursement process. If you believe that you paid for a repair covered by this program and you have not been contacted, you may contact Apple Technical Support."

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook/hd/repairextension/

Might be worth contacting them.

Bummer.

Though, if you don't own the notebook, I can't see why your sister wouldn't be eligible. Especially if you two happen to have different last names.

I hope this applies to educational programs, because about 1/3 of the macbooks at my workplace have suffered from this problem, and a few currently still are.

Good of Apple to offer a replacement/extension program. Back when these macbooks were sold the reviews were good, who saw a prematuer hard disk failure coming.

I have a macbooksin that date range but the measly 80GB hard drive was swapped out ages ago , so no problems here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back