TechSpot

Apple overhauls its iPod nano, iPod touch and earbuds

By Matthew
Sep 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In addition to its new iPhone 5, Apple has unveiled several new iPod products during today's press event. First up, the revamped iPod nano deviates from its predecessor's square-like 1.47 x 1.61-inch design and looks more like a minature iPhone....

Read more

2. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

300 bucks for that? It ain't easy being ignorant and rich, I suppose.

3. Uvindu

Uvindu TS Enthusiast Posts: 154

Thinner than the current iPod touch? That's extreme!

4. Zeromus

Poor guest, he got his comments deleted. I will always remember him as the silenced rebel.

5. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

I'm not feeling the devices, but those earbuds have piqued my interest. If they are three years of work then I'd expect them to be amazing, and for $30 that sounds like it might just be a good deal. It is Apple though, selling good earbuds for only $30 doesn't seem like their style.

6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,087   +84 Staff Member

More like a delusional martyr.

@ReederOnTheRun I'm not sure what to make of the earbuds either. I've had horrible luck with Apple earbuds in the past.

7. Zeromus

D:

8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

I dont know why apple didnt go the rubber tip route, always worked better in my experience.

9. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

Is it me or the Nano looks like a rip-off of Nokia phones hahahaha

Arris likes this.
  10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,156   +737

$300 and they don't bundle the nice ear buds? My $35 Sansa Clip can take a 32GB micro SD card and give me 36 GB for $65, and they want $150 for a 16GB nano? c'mon.

11. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

Whats really urking me is the lack of the $200 ipod touch...

Jim$ter likes this.

12. supertech

supertech TS Member Posts: 83   +10

Great products from Apple. The iPod touch really need the extra processing power as that last gen was very sluggish. I can't wait for the iPad mini announcement which is hopefully soon.

13. Check out the Cowon i9 you guys. I only really listen to music and also used to listen to an ipod. When I made the switch, I noticed a tremendous difference in sound quality improvement. But the drawback is it's only really good for music. Fine by me though.

14. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

I'm just waiting for Apple to start tripping over that patent web they've been weaving. They have to know they're going to have to change their design soon or customers will continue getting bored of their products. I just hope the other tech companies have been learning from this. While nobody likes the abuse of patents, as long as it's against Apple, I don't think a lot of people will mind.

15. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

16. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,603   +110

Exactly what I was thinking. Square device with rounded screen. Come on Nokia, take a bite out of Apple with the Lumia patents!

ikesmasher likes this.
  17. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 604   +106

While reading this headline, I got my 4th gen iPod Shuffle on. My earbuds didn't even fell..

18. The new earbuds offer better bass? Only marginally, I'll bet. Sound requires you to move air. It's not possible for a 1/4inch-1/2inch speaker to move enough air to generate anything close to what I would call acceaptable bass. Also, earbuds are bad for your ears. You lose so much sound to the outside, and so much outside noise comes in, that you turn the earbuds up higher and higher. So, not only has Apple destroyed the demand for CD-quality audio (mp3s are not even close to CD quality, and iTunes barely offers any downloads in their proprietary Apple Lossless codec format, and none in FLAC), it's also making you deaf enough that you can't hear the difference (which is pretty obvious).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.