Apple overtakes Google as the world's most valuable brand

Emil

Apple has overtaken Google to become the world's most valuable brand. For the last four years, Google has dominated the BrandZ Top100 ranking of the most valuable global brands, which is compiled by Millward Brown.

Apple took first place with a brand value of $153 billion displacing Google to second with a brand value of $111 billion. IBM took third ($101 billion), McDonald's was fourth ($81 billion), and Microsoft was fifth ($78 billion). Although the ranking covers all types of companies, it's interesting that the top five included four technology firms. Taking a look at the top 10, six were technology-based companies assuming we include telecom (AT&T and China Mobile) in the category.

Apple increased its brand value by 84 percent between 2010 and 2011. The BrandZ index calculates brand value based on a number of factors, including an estimate of the brand's contribution to earnings, valuation of intangible assets, measures of customer perception, and an estimate of growth potential.

Millward Brown explained that Apple has succeeded in emulating brands of luxury goods. When the company makes its products more expensive, it actually increases their desirability, rather than decreasing it.

Google may not be able to hang on in second place for long. Although the company's brand is very strong, over recent years it has dabbled in various markets. Some have turned into wild successes (such as Android) while others have been miserable failures (Google Wave). This has diluted the overall Google brand and the company actually saw its brand value fall by 2 percent between 2010 and 2011, according to this particular report.

Permalink to story.

Kind of funny when you think about the fact we just voted Apple as the most evil tech company.

People ? Evil.

Apple is a lot overpriced.

Imagine the impact in the world if all the windows operating systems stop working, if the google stop working and if the ipod, ipad etc stop working.

Mc Donald is a poison and is in fourth place over the Microsoft!!!

The Americans are completely crazy :)

true vindication after decades of making quality products for general public instead of tech-savvy ones.

Dont confuse 'valuable' with 'recognizable'. I'm sure Coca-cola and McD's are light years ahead of Apple and Google in terms of how many people could recognize the brand.

Look at the criteria for this rating..."brand's contribution to earnings" Can you think of another company who's customers are so snobbish and brand-loyal? Another way to say this would be... Apple's products would suffer the most if the Apple logo was removed.

Once again the cult of personality psychosis has a win.. apparently, Germany had one of those in 1938 as well.

milwaukeemike said:
Dont confuse 'valuable' with 'recognizable'. I'm sure Coca-cola and McD's are light years ahead of Apple and Google in terms of how many people could recognize the brand.

Look at the criteria for this rating..."brand's contribution to earnings" Can you think of another company who's customers are so snobbish and brand-loyal? Another way to say this would be... Apple's products would suffer the most if the Apple logo was removed.
My sentiments exactly, Though Google and Microsoft would more be in a middle ground between Apple (on the low end) and Coca-Cola/McDonalds/KFC, etc.

I guess there's also a difference in the brands by what sector of the market they pertain to. The later 3 are food/food service brands, and since food is essential (though thier food not necessarily a requirement), they of course will have better recognized than technology brands, even if many people would consider access to a computer and/or access to the internet is slowly becoming essential at a social level. Then of course, there's the human factor. Some people may recognize and value company/products differently than others, so while I for instance know and respect IBM, I could probably ask most of my friends about IBM and they'd respond "IBM what?"

I don't even see how food and tech companies can be compared. McD's is in 119 countries and people have been drinking Coke for over 120 years, and this survey says Apple is more valuable? Although the criteria does state "valuation of intangible assets, measures of customer perception, and an estimate of growth potential"

Intangible assests... as in, Apple is cooler. Customer perception, as in... Apple's customers think apple is the coolest. Estimate of Growth? I'll actually agree with that.

Regardless... none of their criteria are actual measurable things, they're just guesses.

I'm sorry to post such a consideration, but people are both stupid and greedy and Apple is exploiting such behavior.Sadly, it's not the first example and certainly won't be the last.I wonder how many people will lose a lot of money after Steve "leaves" the scene?

Back