Apple passes RIM, now fourth biggest cell phone maker

Emil

Staff

The worldwide mobile phone market grew 14.6 percent in the third quarter of 2010, the fourth consecutive quarter of double-digit growth, according to IDC. Vendors shipped 340.5 million units this past quarter compared to 297.1 million units in the third quarter of 2009.

Diving into specifics, Apple passed Research in Motion to become the fourth largest cell phone vendor in the world. Last quarter, Apple sold 14.1 million iPhones, grabbing 4.1 percent of the global market. RIM meanwhile sold 12.3 million units over the same period and slipped into fifth place globally. This is bad news for the BlackBerry maker since this past quarter the company introduced its next-generation operating system, BlackBerry 6, and also launched the Torch, its first touchscreen/QWERTY hybrid handset. Furthermore, the gap will likely widen next year with the expected introduction of a CDMA iPhone model.

Apple and RIM posted the highest-growth rates among the top five vendors last quarter, but the top three manufacturers on the list remained unchanged and are still very far ahead: Nokia sold 110.4 million units (32.4 percent market share), Samsung pushed out 71.4 million units (21 percent) and LG sent out 28.4 million units (8.3 percent). At the same time, Sony Ericsson was displaced from the top five list for the first time since 2004 when IDC began tracking the top five vendors.

"The entrance of Apple to the top five vendor ranking underscores the increased importance of smartphones to the overall market," Kevin Restivo, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker, said in a statement. "Moreover, the mobile phone makers that are delivering popular smartphone models are among the fastest growing firms. Vendors that aren't developing a strong portfolio of smartphones will be challenged to maintain and grow market share in the future."

Permalink to story.

saw it coming years ago it's about time. tech world is survival for the fittest, adapt or be crushed RIM. your phones are out of style and functionality. you cant just change a few keys and call it new anymore. that's so 10yrs ago. you need variety, you need style, you need ease of use, you need capability, you need to upgrade youself.

Yeah no real surprise there. It was just a matter of time. why buy expensive blackberries and BES servers when Iphone does it better for free.

thaddio said:
Yeah no real surprise there. It was just a matter of time. why buy expensive blackberries and BES servers when Iphone does it better for free.

For free? Elaborate please. Just because a phone costs you $0 up front that doesn't make it free. It's subsidized because you sign a 2/3 year contract. Even then the iphone is $150 on a contract.

I think this is kinda funny that apple has done this when they have one phone just with different size memory and either in black or white (well not with the iphone4 yet). I agree with the above statement, RIM does need some variety if they are going to stay alive

Free meaning you don`t need to buy a blackberry server and licences for each user to be able to view your company emails on your phone.

That is what BIS is for.

I do contracting working and can access company emails once setup with an exchange account by simply setting up a BIS connection you don't need to be on a bes server for this. Now it won't offer all of the functions a bes account will give us but you can access most.

Emails and calenders so you still get your meeting request and appointments etc.

And BB is still better with handling multiple emails accounts and security than a Iphone.

You have to remember RIM bread and butter and business users not consumers.

And Directors and VP's don't really give a **** about being able to get that new app on their Iphone 4.

Stop looking at things from your own limited point of view.

For me one of the big reason's I don't use an Iphone is I need a phyiscal keyboard to type on I hate on screen keyboards with a passion. I also don't tend to fall for marketing, and flashy toys like most of the sheep out there.

And with me being a tech guy I would sway more towards and Andriod phone that will give me the ablitity to tweak and mess with stuff instead of a phone where steve jobs tell me how I should use it and what I can do on it.

I don't think RIM and Apple (i'm a fan of neither) will ever come close to Nokia. Its a shame to see Sony Ericsson pushed down. When i buy its either sony ericsson or nokia, and i think my next phone will have to be a sony ericsson, the battery life on my nokia 5530 pisses me off.

Apple's brand may be the 4th biggest seller, but Android sells even more. It doesn't show up because its market share is split among multiple manufacturers.

figured apple would be higher than this by now but with Verizon getting the iphone soon it should be interesting to see what happens.

The biggest reason I could see myself getting an iphone 4 is the remarkable screen resolution. AKA the highest of any phone released.

"Moreover, the mobile phone makers that are delivering popular smartphone models are among the fastest growing firms. Vendors that aren't developing a strong portfolio of smartphones will be challenged to maintain and grow market share in the future."

How true my friend just bought a smartphone when he showed what all it can do I just stared at my old phone for a few seconds & thought why i still have this in my hand instead of his.Real though for other phones in the market.

My next phone will be an iphone. Been waiting for a Verizon iphone for years now. Hopefully it will happen next year.No doubt Apple will continue to gain market share with the upcoming CDMA iphone.

My fear is that if Apple's success continues, it may become what Microsoft once was- the huge monopoly over technology that controlled the market. Hopefully this will not happen, as it could really slow down the development speed of new technologies.

As for Androids, I personally feel that they are superior to the iPhone.

mtrenal said:
My fear is that if Apple's success continues, it may become what Microsoft once was- the huge monopoly over technology that controlled the market. Hopefully this will not happen, as it could really slow down the development speed of new technologies.

As for Androids, I personally feel that they are superior to the iPhone.

I feel the same way about apple especially with there crappy customer service, and IMO Android is a far better OS than apples and i own the moto droid running at a smooth 1000Mhz

@princeton
iPhone Resolution is nothing special. The Samsung Galaxy S II will have 720P Resolution on a Super AMOLED screen that boasts 1,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio and Response Time of 0.01ms (same time for present SAMOLED Screen) compared to an absymal 25ms Response Time and junk contrast ratio of Retina with clunky worthless IPS chip shrink that requires far more energy!

When do you think CrApple is going to have a dual core 2.0ghz processor coupled with an Nvidia GPU? haha..... never because they are two cheap. Samsung next monster, will stomp all over iPhone 5's phone specs too!

http://www.taranfx.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-specs

Samsung sold 20million Smartphones last quarter along with 50million feature phones. I don't think CrApple has a chance in hell of ever passing them any time in the future! ^_^

Bit by bit, apple is going to dominate everything. They are going to be a monopoly in certain markets but no one will mind. If microsoft tried to do the same thing they will be blamed for being a monopoly and taken to court. Apple is getting more and more respect and I hope they don't end up influencing everything.

Hard to believe with all the business use blackberry devices out there that Apple is pushing more phones out the door. I suppose it just goes to show how fast the consumer market is growing.

haha.... you're too funny!

Bit by bit, apple is going to dominate everything. They are going to be a monopoly in certain markets but no one will mind. If microsoft tried to do the same thing they will be blamed for being a monopoly and taken to court. Apple is getting more and more respect and I hope they don't end up influencing everything.

Yeah.... haha.... right, in Steve iHitler's Dreams. You iCrAppleholics forget who makes 50 to 70% of the cost of CrApple's iplatform parts! SAMSUNG #5 Global Conglomerate that is still a Chaebol (Family owned business). Only one of their divisions is public and that's the Electronics division that by itself is #1 Electronics Corporation in the World. They sold 70 Million phones compared to iCrApple's 14.1 million and near half of those were smartphones killing CrApple in Smartphones alone. Most of those Smartphones were Galaxy S series. That since the last reports, went on sale on All Three Top Carriers in China (not just one like iPhone), now selling on Verizon and Sprint as well as three Top Carriers in India. All total Galaxy will be on over 200 carriers in 170 countries! ....wait till next reports come in and you'll know Android on Galaxy alone will chew CrApple up and spit 'em out like a cherry pit!

Let's see if they ever top Samsung who is 2nd to only Nokia or even LG. Which are both smartphone competitors! Never happen because these two companies control the parts supplies and who so ever controls the parts supply, controls the market! :p

ViperSniper2 said:

Yeah.... haha.... right, in Steve iHitler's Dreams. You iCrAppleholics forget who makes 50 to 70% of the cost of CrApple's iplatform parts! SAMSUNG #5 Global Conglomerate that is still a Chaebol (Family owned business). Only one of their divisions is public and that's the Electronics division that by itself is #1 Electronics Corporation in the World. They sold 70 Million phones compared to iCrApple's 14.1 million and near half of those were smartphones killing CrApple in Smartphones alone. Most of those Smartphones were Galaxy S series. That since the last reports, went on sale on All Three Top Carriers in China (not just one like iPhone), now selling on Verizon and Sprint as well as three Top Carriers in India. All total Galaxy will be on over 200 carriers in 170 countries! ....wait till next reports come in and you'll know Android on Galaxy alone will chew CrApple up and spit 'em out like a cherry pit!

Let's see if they ever top Samsung who is 2nd to only Nokia or even LG. Which are both smartphone competitors! Never happen because these two companies control the parts supplies and who so ever controls the parts supply, controls the market! :p

i agree with this completely Samsung Nokia and LG will never topple below apple. I personally cant stand the iphone i love my droid.

Back