TechSpot

Apple patent would let you sell your iTunes content to others

By Shawn Knight
Mar 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier today the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that would allow customers to legally sell or loan used iTunes content to another person. The patent is titled “Managing access to digital content items” and...

Read more
  2. ragreeen2646

ragreeen2646 TS Rookie

Why is this patentable?
    m4a4, ReederOnTheRun and Tiberath like this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

This is so awesome if it comes to life. I have like a 100 songs I own that I never listen too :D. And about 100 apps I have not use for
  4. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 406   +105

If I'm not mistaken they are patenting the method not the concept. So other people can still do this, just with a different method.
    UNKNOWN9122 likes this.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

Yeah, I wont be surprised if it just a concept
  6. Tiberath

Tiberath TS Member

That still doesn't really answer the question. Why is this even patentable? I'm not a professional or tertiary educated programmer, just an enthusiast. And I can do what's in this diagram really easily. They've pretty much just stated "We're now the only ones who can store and transfer data -in this order- HAHAHA".

This isn't something that should ever be a patent.
    BlueDrake likes this.
  7. Everyone is making the assumption that Apple are patenting this so they can make the product described. Patenting something and never allowing anyone to license it can also be used to prevent a product from ever existing. Happens in the pharmaceutical industry all the time.
    m4a4 likes this.
  8. I am a patent attorney. Just because someone files a patent application, it doesn't make the content patentable. It remains to be seen whether this application - which is all this is at present, an application - will be granted patent rights.

Any method is patentable if it hasn't been done before. Even just a method of doing business.

" They've pretty much just stated "We're now the only ones who can store and transfer data -in this order- HAHAHA"." - This isn't true unless a patent is actually granted. In addition, it's not just the order that data is stored, it's the type of data as well. This only applies to "OWNERSHIP DATA", not any data.
  9. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

That makes sense; my first thought when reading it was that it'd probably end up making Apple lose money if it were implemented (more people would buy stuff if they could resell it, but then the majority of customers could buy from each other instead of Apple). However, it makes sense if another, less popular company did it because it would take a big piece of Apple's large customer base.

Regardless of any speculation though, it still shouldn't be patentable.
    m4a4 likes this.
  10. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 528   +146

Exactly what will happen. Locked so that apple can make more money.
  11. plynch28

plynch28 TS Rookie

Or, you could just strip the DRM and upload it. This has got to be one of the most retarded ideas Apple has ever had.

12. yRaz

yRaz TS Booster Posts: 907   +94

While I don't think they should be able to patent this I'm glad that SOMEONE in the industry is doing it. We have been able to do this for years with records, tapes, and CD's. Digital downloads should be no exception.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.