Apple planning to release the iPad HD (2048 x 1536 resolution)

Emil

Staff

The next version of Apple's iPad tablet will reportedly be called the iPad HD, and will launch alongside the next iPhone later this year. The new device will sport a double resolution screen (2048 x 1536), according to This is my next.

The product will apparently be a "pro" device aimed at a higher end market, such as people who work in video and photo production. It will supposedly be introduced alongside something like an iPad version of Final Cut or Aperture.

Earlier this week, a rumor started that the next iPad would not be called the iPad 3, but rather the iPad 2 Plus, and slated for a late 2011 launch. The iPad 2 was announced and started shipping in March 2011. In other words, Apple will be releasing an iPad 2 successor less than a year later.

Apple likely doesn't want to call the device iPad 3 to limit the backlash it will get for making the iPad 2 obsolete so quickly. It makes great business sense to release a new iPad in time for the holiday season, and I'd bet that this won't the first iPad that we'll see released during this time period.

Earlier this month, we learned a new iPad had just recently been added to the production schedule of Apple's supply chain. Just like for the new iPhone, small volumes are expected in August, with units ramping up in September and October. The new iPad is supposed to be even thinner and lighter, with a panel resolution increase.

This isn't the first time that Apple has given an odd name to a successor. The first iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. Instead of releasing the iPhone 2, Apple introduced the iPhone 3G on June 9, 2008. Next, the iPhone 3GS was announced on June 8, 2009 and arrived on June 19, 2009.

Permalink to story.

The performance is going to be worse than the current generation device I'm assuming, just as was the case with their phone when they bumped the resolution.

Guest said:
The performance is going to be worse than the current generation device I'm assuming, just as was the case with their phone when they bumped the resolution.

I don't know where you heard that, but if you've ready anything about the iPhone 4 you'd find that it's performance far surpasses that of even the 3GS.

Anyways, I'm glad to see Apple not completely changing it to the point of making an iPad 3, as that would render the 2 obsolete. Sort of similar to there being a "higher-end market" machine for Macs. No, the average consumer doesn't need a Mac Pro, that's what the iMac is for. No, the average consumer doesn't need a 1536p screen.

The iPhone 4 has a better CPU/GPU to go along with that however.

the iPad 2 already has the A5, no way they've got the A6 ready until next year.

I'm a different person than the one you've quoted, I just happen to agree with him/her.

I bet it still has the same old lame 64gb max storage.... Come on Apple, double that and I might consider buying one of your products.

Wendig0 said:
I bet it still has the same old lame 64gb max storage.... Come on Apple, double that and I might consider buying one of your products.

What are you talking about? Since when did we start to need that kind of storage capacity on a mobile device? Give me a reason why someone would need more than 64GB that already by itself is plenty

I think that this is simple rediculous - apple are launching far too many products in such a short space of time they will end up spending more on production and design than the revenue generated from each generation of the products!!!

yep it will launch with a battery life of 15 mins and if apple tend to offer more..... It will weigh around 10 pounds.
cmon man a 10 inch screen with that res will alone cost equal five ipads
1080p is a bit more reasonable

first of all i doubt whether apple can pull off such a display themselves....
Them they are left with samsung,lg and toshiba.
Samsung can pull it off but with the current tensions b/w them i dont think there will be a deal

if apple somehow manage then they might require to fit it with a GTX 580 and a car battery

sjatin68 said:
first of all i doubt whether apple can pull off such a display themselves....
Them they are left with samsung,lg and toshiba.
Samsung can pull it off but with the current tensions b/w them i dont think there will be a deal

if apple somehow manage then they might require to fit it with a GTX 580 and a car battery

I love the people who think they know what they're talking about and keep saying that dual core cpus and higher res screens use more electricity. The only screen with a resolution of this size is Samsung's 2560x1600 RGBW panel. It uses 40 percent less electricity than a 2560x1600 RGB panel. It's not going to kill battery life.

Back