Apple quietly kills jailbreak detection API in iOS

By Emil
Dec 11, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Less than six months after introducing it, Apple has quietly disabled its jailbreak detection API in iOS. The programming interface was used by developers to detect whether or not an iOS device had been jailbroken, according to Network World. The API could ask the device itself whether it has been jailbroken or not because jailbreaking changes specific files used by the operating system.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Maybe they should stop wasting their time making updates solely for the purpose of breaking jailbreaks. Someone always finds a way around. And once someone finds a bootrom exploit there's nothing they can do anyways.
  3. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +41

... that's pretty much what the article said they did princeton.
  4. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

Not a very intelligent comment:
    haha pwnt!
  5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 853   +352

About time Apple just give up. Out of the hundreds of thousands of iphones sold, what percentage are jail broken? 1,2,3 percent? Most people don't even know what it is, other than the hacker/enthusiast community. Those that jail break/unlock are just trying to squeeze a little more out of their device, and to thumb their nose at a corporation who wants to control how you use a device, be it Apple, Microsoft, Google or anyone else. Heck, I bet 1/3 of the innovations of devices come from places like Modaco or XDA LOL. Their roms are most of the time superior to the carrier versions (mainly because they remove the bloat).
  6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

7. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Apple has never released an update solely for the purpose of breaking jailbreaks.
  8. princeton

Not even remotely. My comment points out the factor of bootrom exploits. Nowhere did the article even reference those.

Aww looks like I just "pwnt" you.
  9. princeton

This, this is hilarious. how about 3.1 to 3.1.2? It added very little new functionality if any at all. What it did do is patch jailbreaks.
  10. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 811   +26

Actually princeton, you did pretty much say what the article said. It said they are no longer releasing updates to break jailbreaks. You said:

Therefore, you did say what the article said. Sure, It didn't say anything about the bootrom exploits you mentioned, but you did repeat what the article said other than that.

And can we please drop the crappy "pwn" stuff? Why can't people just say "owned" anymore? "pwn" makes you look like a *****. (this isn't directed to you, princeton, as I know you were just playing along since you put "pwnt" in quotes, lol).
  11. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

That one was intended to sound *****ic, and it did. :)
  12. princeton

I hate the term pwn. Also am I the only one who notices the majority of posts like "LOL U GOT PWND" come from users with under 100 posts.
  13. realista69

realista69 TS Rookie

Computer code is nothing more than a calculation. For every variable there is always a solution to 0. No one can protect computers, they are inherently broken. One day even the 256 encryption will be broken into..just a matter of time and science!
  14. Det

Det TS Rookie Posts: 84

princeton, do you really have to respond to every comment? You lost already. **** happens but life goes on.