TechSpot

Apple relaxes App Store restrictions

By Jos
Sep 9, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Ever since the iPhone App Store first opened its doors in 2008 there has been an ongoing debate about Apple's seemingly random approval process. Its refusal to allow Flash content to run on its platform has also been a contentious topic, which escalated to a whole new level earlier this year when the company decided to ban developers from using cross-platform compilers and instead forced them to use Apple's Objective-C-based tools -- a move that was largely interpreted as a shot directly across Adobe's bow, but it also affected developers using other middleware tools such as Unity.

Read the whole story

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

It shouldn't have even come to this in the first place!

I wonder what the exact reasons for this change really are though...

3. natefalk

natefalk TS Rookie Posts: 78

totally agree. They sort of shot themselves in the foot for trying to be too controlling. If only they would have listened 6 months ago...

With Win7 Phone on the horizon, they are probably predicting even more market share loss. Especially since most devs are already familiar with Visual Studios, C#, Silverlight and XNA... how many devs know how to use Objective-C without a reference manual?

4. pretzelwagon

pretzelwagon TS Member Posts: 30

In Apple's words, "this should give developers the flexibility they want, while preserving the security (read: power overwhelming) we need."

I don't appreciate a company who enjoys playing God this much.

5. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

"Think Different... while we approve your app for our store"

I don't remember where I saw that but man its good.

6. otester

otester TS Rookie Posts: 42

Well don't buy Apple...simple.

They're overpriced and **** any ways.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.