Apple releases iOS 4.1 with proximity sensor fix, more

Matthew DeCarlo

Apple has released iOS 4.1 today for the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4 as well as the second, third and fourth-generation iPod touch, fixing issues with the proximity sensor and Bluetooth along with adding new features. With the update, iPhone 4 touchscreens should no longer become active when your ear is pressed to the device, and Bluetooth connectivity is improved. There are also speed optimizations for the iPhone 3G, which was a bit bogged down by iOS 4.0.

The release brings high dynamic range (HDR) photo support, which should provide better color and detail accuracy when pictures are taken in bright sunlight. Other features include the ability to upload HD videos to YouTube and MobileMe over Wi-Fi, and you can rent TV shows for $0.99. Gamers might appreciate the new social Game Center, with features including a friends list, multiplayer support, and achievements. Note that updating will 'break' your jailbreak.

Permalink to story.

I guess I'll be having to wipe my iPhone yet again, all because I had to re-format my PC after getting my new motherboard. Christ owning this phone suck sometimes. lol.

Um, no. Only an exploit was found, and there are typically weeks between this and a jailbreak. This exploit is less useful than first claimed, as it can lead at most to a tethered jailbreak requiring reconnection to a computer at every phone reboot (else stuck at recovery mode screen).

The iPhone 4 hasn’t really been the smoothest launch, really. The antenna issues seem to be the most prominent – while the phone has been affected by a serious of other bugs including some involving the camera and others involving iOS4. Add another to the list the phone’s proximity sensor, which shuts the phone off when it’s close to your face.
http://www.applereviewed.net

Back