Apple releases Mac OS X Lion for $30, new MacBook Airs

By Jos
Jul 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has officially flipped the switch on its next major update to OS X: version 10.7, codenamed Lion, is now available from the Mac App Store as an upgrade to…

Read the whole story
  2. I have an Imac (dual boot win7 and OSX).
    I don't have an Iphone, Ipad. I don't use Itunes.
    What does Lion have that I need?
  3. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 430   +8

Well, what did Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard all have that you really needed?
  4. Good question.
    I guess it would be mostly incremental improvements.
  5. hojnikb

hojnikb Newcomer, in training

They could put in something better than Intel HD 3000 inside of these Airs ....
    Its sad that you can buy a 1.599$$ laptop with an Intel GPU....
  6. Once again Apple is telling what hardware we can or cannot use.
  7. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

Cool, will get a copy in the coming days so I can try it out on the Mac :)
  8. Is it me, or are the prices for an Apple laptop outrageous.
    I know they are slick and nice technology, but the price tags are quite incredible.
  9. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

Their OS price is completely reasonable though.
  10. The problem is that Apple destroys anyone attempting to make a hardware clone.
  11. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,365   +260

True, the OS UPGRADE prices are very good, but the cost to get the hardware in the forst place is completely stupid.

If they had put in, maybe an ATI 6680m or Nvidia 540GT as a descrete card on the Macbook Air's but they haven't which makes that price just simply unbareable.

I still stand by the fact that you can get a HP Envy which is just as well made but much higher spec and cheaper with a real OS on it, can easily been seen as the smart and much more effective buy for pretty much everyone. I cannot believe people will actually buy the new Air as well. It kinda sadens me :(
  12. Some people like Ford Mustangs others like Ferrari... it all just depends on what you re really looking to spend in the computer you like. Sure some are cheaper than others.. but hell we live in a world were people Spend at least $2 for a cup of coffee. It is just all about how much you are willing to spend for that product you like plain and simple.
  13. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

You didn't get the memo? Macs are analogous to BMWs if you're going to make a car analogy.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,012   +715

YUP---per.
  15. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 853   +84

If you can't use any of these features (http://www.techspot.com/guides/371-mac-osx-lion-preview/), then maybe you should be running Linux, and stay away from anything mainstream.
  16. So how will this work if your hard drive crashes and you have to do a clean install after the HD replacement? Kind of hard to connect to the app store from a machine that does not have an OS...
  17. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

You buy another Mac. Duuuuh!
  18. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,266   +218

Apple's new computers support "Internet Recovery" allowing you to install Lion on a fresh hd. If you don't have a new comp, then you have to install Snow Leopard first, then upgrade to Lion.

Also, unrelated to what I quoted, but still related to this story. Next month you can get Lion on a USB Stick for $70, so it will no longer be an App Store exclusive.
  19. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Any Envy and Air are in two completely different leagues of laptops. The Envy is a much thicker and heavier laptop, despite still being a very portable one.

When you're buying an Air, what you are doing is sacrificing performance and value for something that is cardboard-thin. For some people that's worth it.. to most others, it is not. But the only PC comparisons you can make are the Lenovo X1, the now defunct Dell Adamo, Sony X series and *maybe* a couple of others... But you'll see the prices are all through the roof despite being PCs.
  20. The Pro and the Mini are updated as well.

The Air is very popular because it hits all the right marks for typical users....

light,
    thin,
    small,
    solid,
    attractive looking,
    great battery life,
    fast boot,
    fast for typical needs,
    easy\stable\worry-free\hardware-tuned OS,
    junk free,
    AV optional,
    loaded with great apps covering the majority of what the typical user needs,
    worry-free backup with TimeMachine

The competition (Adamo etc) has tried but can't match the features nor the price.
  21. There's no USB3 on the new Air Muahahah Samsung S9 > Air
  22. It's not about the sheer speed, rather availability devices from different manufacturers.

I guess you will be using a thunderbolt flashdrive if it will ever exist and 27" new Led from apple for the small sum of $1,500 Muahhahahahahahhahahaha
  23. captaincranky

Don't you have an Apple forum you could haunt?
  24. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

You forgot to mention the most attractive aspect of all Apple products, and that is the Apple logo itself. You dont buy the Apple air because of the reason listed above you buy it because its Apple, plain and simple.
  25. captaincranky

So much free advertising we've given Apple by quoting our guest twice.....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.