Apple remembers Steve Jobs's life on anniversary of his passing

Jos

Staff

Today marks the one-year anniversary of Steve Jobs’ passing and to commemorate the occasion Apple has updated its website with a video tribute to its late co-founder and CEO. "Remembering Steve" presents a slideshow highlighting some iconic moments and famous quotes from Jobs’ time at Apple, including the launch of the iMac and iPod, which would set the stage for perhaps the greatest turnaround in corporate history.

Along with the two-minute video there’s a letter from Tim Cook, who replaced Jobs as CEO after he stepped down in August 2011, describing Jobs’ death as a sad and difficult time as well as reflecting on how he touched people’s lives: “One of the greatest gifts Steve gave to the world is Apple. No company has ever inspired such creativity or set such high standards for itself. Our values originated from Steve and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple. We share the great privilege and responsibility of carrying his legacy into the future.”

Jobs died at age 56 on October 5, 2011, a day earlier the iPhone 4S was announced, following a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Although some things have changed with Cook at the helm -- Apple paid dividends for the first time in 17 years and has been more open about the labor conditions at its supplier plants in China, to name a couple -- plenty remains the same. And that’s a good thing. Apple is still the most valuable public company in the world, it operates as efficiently as ever, and people are still buying their products in droves.

This week we’ve seen a number of stories commemorating Jobs’ life as the one-year anniversary of his death came closer, including Forbes’ recollection of untold stories from friends and colleagues, and a piece by Wired comparing Jobs with history’s greatest engineers and industrialists Nikola Tesla and Henry Ford.

Whether you are an Apple fan or not, it’s hard to deny Jobs is one of the most iconic leaders in the history of our industry. As the company’s famous ad proclaims regarding the ‘crazy’ ones, “You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things.”

Permalink to story.

I'm not a Apple fan but no one should die the way Steve did. Why doesn't all of the governments around the world stop spending money on machines of war and work on ways to make us all live a long and happy life. Some people say it's human nature to kill but isn't it also human nature to have compassion and a well to help your fellow man or woman. The problem is government = power. Power = responsibility. Responsibility = making the right decision for your people. These decisions can become corrupt and then everyone suffers. It's takes people like Steve to show us how far we have come and how behind your governments.

For what the US spends on military each year, every poverty stricken child in the WORLD, would be able to have free education and free school meals for 62 years.

I'm not a Apple fan but no one should die the way Steve did. Why doesn't all of the governments around the world stop spending money on machines of war and work on ways to make us all live a long and happy life. Some people say it's human nature to kill but isn't it also human nature to have compassion and a well to help your fellow man or woman. The problem is government = power. Power = responsibility. Responsibility = making the right decision for your people. These decisions can become corrupt and then everyone suffers. It's takes people like Steve to show us how far we have come and how behind your governments.

For what the US spends on military each year, every poverty stricken child in the WORLD, would be able to have free education and free school meals for 62 years.

+500

I'm not going to battle you anything here. Just even if said governments that have a "stable" country do that, what would happen with those that are dedicated to making others miserable? They prolong the war for their own reasons obviously, and I along with countless others don't want it to continue. There's no swaying views of a government, when there's a lot at risk. I'm not in the US at all so I'm just an outsider looking in, observing what goes on from what we all see and hear.

If the US and all other countries back down, what would stop those from doing all sorts of scare tactics, etc? I'm not battling your argument at all, I'm just pointing out there's a lot we can't anticipate. My general sympathy and such goes to those in the wars, losing their lives because of these kinds of problems. So we can all live a more comfortable life, at the sacrifice of their own.

I'm not a Apple fan but no one should die the way Steve did. Why doesn't all of the governments around the world stop spending money on machines of war and work on ways to make us all live a long and ..........., would be able to have free education and free school meals for 62 years.
Imagine if that Steve wasn't works for computer/consumer electronics company

but for NASA?

or even the military?

the last one get me scary...

but for NASA?

or even the military?

Imagine if you didn't think he was some sort of saint and came down to earth and realized he didn't do anything special.

I'm so tired of people putting him on a pedestal.

Only thing IMO that was special about Steve Jobs is that he was a damn good salesman. I don't feel there really is anything all that special about Apple products but he made people believe there was, and get them to come back and buy more, at rather high prices IMO. I give him props for that.
And holy crap, can't believe a year has flown by already. Time seems to be slipping away from me.

I'm not a Apple fan but no one should die the way Steve did. Why doesn't all of the governments around the world stop spending money on machines of war and work on ways to make us all live a long and ..........., would be able to have free education and free school meals for 62 years.

but for NASA?

or even the military?

He was a salesman, others designed what the devices looked like and he approved them, others designed what would be in the devices and he approved. He "OKed" that end device but he didn't actually make the items, I don't think he would have helped NASA or the military much at all since they do not really care about aesthetics over actual usefulness.

but for NASA?

or even the military?

Imagine if you didn't think he was some sort of saint and came down to earth and realized he didn't do anything special.

I'm so tired of people putting him on a pedestal.
So, according to your ideology:

1. Bill Gates is just a nerd that no one should praise.
2. Stephen Hawking is just a man in a wheelchair.
3. Mark Zukerberg just launched a simple website...big deal.

Get over your hate for Apple. I dislike their company, but Steve Jobs was brilliant just like those three men.

I have to agree people idolize him way to much it's really pathetic and shows us whats wrong with the world today. Idolize someone who did..idk...something original? Maybe cured something?

"Imagine if that Steve wasn't works for computer/consumer electronics company"

"but for NASA?" ----> we will see a simple, slimmer and elegant spaceship or satellite with white glossy surface orbiting the earth

"or even the military?" ----> we will see the rectangular tanks with rounded edges comes in dazzling glossy white or gray

"the last one get me scary" ----> you mean military? it's not that scary.

But what make me scary is: what if Steve is expert in nuclear weapon? then we won't see big mushroom exposion, instead we will see a giant explosion with shape of giant apple bitten at the right side (nuclear explosion with apple logo shape)

Not much harm in idolizing a person that passes away. Talk trash and hate them while they're alive, and say good things about them when they are no longer around :T

Yea reminds me of Michael Jackson. When he was alive, he was just another rich pedophile. When he's dead, he's the king of pop.

A day of celebration this is! I remember the wonderful day a year ago when the world was rid of him, to bad the company didn't die with him though.

So, according to your ideology:

1. Bill Gates is just a nerd that no one should praise.
2. Stephen Hawking is just a man in a wheelchair.
3. Mark Zukerberg just launched a simple website...big deal.

Get over your hate for Apple. I dislike their company, but Steve Jobs was brilliant just like those three men.

Except I'm not putting any of those on any pedestals, now when they're alive or when they die.

Get over yourself.

Yea reminds me of Michael Jackson. When he was alive, he was just another rich pedophile. When he's dead, he's the king of pop.
Nah MJ was always The King of Pop who was also a rich pedophile. Dunno why you think the name King of Pop went to him after he died since that phrase was connected to him for many, many years now. I remember news stories about him when I was small that started off saying "The King of Pop" instead of Michael Jackson because everyone knew who you were talking about.

Surprised there wasn't any news about the Foxconn strike here. Apple denied it happened though lol.

He chose not to have surgery because he didn't believe in 'invasive procedures', so even the best government healthcare system (he had enough money to pay for the best doctors anyway) would not have prevented him from dying. He was a victim of pseudo-science, so rather focus your outrage on people that attack our most valuable asset; critical thinking.

Woha!
I didn't see it coming :)
first of all - thank you for replying
only ramonsters and TorturedChaos almost get it
I just give my credit to the great modern designer - Steve
he is not Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein in this matter
but he is in the other

I tried to make it to his memorial.

But the maps sent me in the wrong direction...

Except I'm not putting any of those on any pedestals, now when they're alive or when they die.

Get over yourself.

I'm glad that you care about the advancement of society. If you're so full of yourself, why don't you go live in the wilderness for a few years and write a book about how you believe in individualism like Ralph Waldo Emerson? Oh wait...that's another person that you don't care about.

Maybe it's YOU that needs to get over yourself.

I'm glad that you care about the advancement of society. If you're so full of yourself, why don't you go live in the wilderness for a few years and write a book about how you believe in individualism like Ralph Waldo Emerson? Oh wait...that's another person that you don't care about.

Maybe it's YOU that needs to get over yourself.

I can't care about advancements in technology unless I idolize someone? Next you're going to tell me I'll go to a bad place if I don't believe in the sky wizard and his book of fairy tales.

I don't see "Computers for Dummies" AKA Apples and "Privacy Infringement and Data Mining Simulator" AKA Facebook as "advancements" of society. If anything, they set society back a couple of decades.

Call me when the quickest way off this planet and into another habitable atmosphere is available, I promise to have a picture of the man/woman next to my bed and kiss it goodnight every night for the rest of my life.

Back