Apple reportedly takes down Samsung as the world's top selling smartphone maker in Q4

Justin Kahn

After Samsung’s generally dominate lineup of smartphones began to show signs of slowing in the sales department, analysts and industry insiders suggested that Apple could retake the crown. While just a year ago Samsung was clocking numbers well ahead of Apple, recent data looks to show a changing of the guard. 

Well respected analytics and research firm Gartner has recently published data saying that Apple slightly topped Samsung in the fourth quarter of last year moving about 74.8 million smartphones compared to Samsung’s 73 million.

Even though Samsung was selling above 30 million smartphones more than Apple at this time last year, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus brought the company its highest quarterly profit in history back in January. 

Despite a turn for the worse, many suggest the recently revealed Galaxy devices are primed to take Samsung to the top once again. Described as some the most notable upgrades in the company’s popular Galaxy lineup in quite some time, the new S6 and S6 Edge are set to launch this April. You can get more details and specs on Samsung's upcoiming devices here.

Head over to Gartner for a complete breakdown of smartphone sales in Q4 last year.

Permalink to story.

Obviously. The iPhone 6 is still relatively new. Samsung's flagship (s5) was pretty much at the end of its life.

Just like Samsung will outsell apple Q1 because of the S6 release. Kind of pointless article

Dont forget same situation a year ago but this year. Compare the comparable things if you want comparable something.

"Compare the comparable things if you want comparable something." That's some good English there... But none the less a good point, if you want comparable something you should compare the comparable, right? I have a feeling the ultra gimmicky S6 Edge will be an unfortunately good seller and restore the number one spot to Samsung, the iPhone is already old news.

Samsung's new phones cut two of the best reasons to own a Samsung phone: external storage and user-replaceable battery. I think they may well prove to be some of the worst sellers. The price of the Edge is cost prohibitive too.

I also think the S6 Edge will be a good seller...unfortunately; although I hope people will realize before hand just how important it is to have an micro SD slot (I don't know if I care too much about the removable battery).

Well, I may be alone in this camp of mine, but with Sammy going forward with removing the micro SD slot, I have the feeling that the Note 4 that I have will be my last Samsung device.

Considering what Samsung left out of S6, I am not sure it is going to set world on fire, and bring Samsung back to #1 (at least when it comes to selling smartphones, not the profits). I guess LG stands a good chance to pip Samsung with much improved G4.

I guess you can say that in that specific way. But as I was exchanging views with DBZ in another thread, I'll stick with my views ie Samsung should quit making 'clones' (since only that much money can be made from 'tiny' profit pool of android OEMs) and instead make a 'better business decision' by becoming a SoC/Display/Memory/Storage supplier for other OEMs.

Back