TechSpot

Apple resumes ad tracking efforts in iOS 6, here's how to turn it off

By Rick
Oct 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. With the introduction of iOS 6, Apple also rolled out a new method of tracking users for advertisers and developers: IFA, IDFA or "ID for advertisers". Although the technology cannot be used to personally identify a user, it does however...

Read more
  2. Thanks. Disabled.:)
  3. Ok, first and formost, I have have had an iphone 3gs for almost 3 years. Its been an awesome and reliable phone. I have never once seen an ad come to me on the phone. If you mean they come through in free APPS that you download, these ads are coming to you anyways through the APP author, not apple. This so called "ad tracking" only classifies your ads, its DOES NOT FIX it since it is not BROKEN.

recap: the ads in apps will come anyways no matter what you do.
  4. SCJake

SCJake TS Rookie Posts: 80

" the ads in apps will come anyways no matter what you do."

unless you root/cyanogenmod your android, which, you know, isnt a closed platform like crApple...
    ReederOnTheRun likes this.
  5. SCJake

SCJake TS Rookie Posts: 80

Or just root and install adfree. forgot about that one
  6. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

Surprise, surprise.
  7. k9182000

k9182000 TS Rookie Posts: 17

Lol yep Done & Done :D
  8. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

Things like this from advertisers actually help in my case. If they can show me a list of cheaper models, etc. I'm all for it. there's obviously a downside, but so far it's been a help for me.
  9. Information in this article is incorrect. Please research before posting about UUID's.

UDID: Unique Device Identifier
    UUID: Unique User Identifier
    IDFA: Identifier for Advertisers

UDID's are used within iOS 5 to directly identify a device. This tracks a user forever, and all information tied with it cannot be changed. It cannot be shut off either and is primarily why it has been deprecated. This would allow for publishers to sell these ids, even if the user does not agree.
    UUID's are used within iOS 6 to directly identify with a certain publishers applications. This prevents publishers from selling these ids to others. These identifiers can only be used internally within a company, and serve no purpose elsewhere.
    IDFA's are used within iOS 6 and are very similar to UDID's, in that they uniquely identifier the user across all applications. The only difference is that they can be shut off, if a user does not want targeted advertising.
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,787   +539

Thanks. Disabled right away.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.