Apple retains Siri voice data for up to two years

By Shawn Knight
Apr 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple recently revealed the fact that they keep all Siri inquiries stored on their servers for up to two years. That’s right, every question, comment or message spoken to the personal assistant gets anonymized and archived to improve the service,...

Read more
  2. Before some screams foul, ask yourself, "why does it matter?". I 100% guarantee no one cares about your siri usage. You are not that important.
  3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,384   +205

Someone might care if you keep asking about how to make bombs and such.
  4. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

At least we kind of know what they do with the data, still don't know what Google does with its voice data, or for how long. But then again Google has to much on the ACLU to worry about it lol.
  5. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Lol, wrong thread
  6. Mortalife

Mortalife Newcomer, in training

Are we really all that surprised?
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,011   +683

Well how else are they going to improve their system? Pay a bunch of people to say random things and check the answers, or just use the millions coming in?
    Real users asking everyday questions would be the best possible way to find holes in Siri's logic. Our desire to be both online connected to everyone while being invisible and anonymous is really getting out of hand. Note that an ACLU lawyer brought this up.. not an actual user who was worried about anything. I wonder how long they spent trying to find a reason to sue the richest company in the country.
  8. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 514   +95

Well if I am not important, why save the data?
  9. @ Darkshadoe

important on analytical level, not on personal level to help make the system better.
  10. Seems like a common sense solution to this is to ask users opt-in (or at a minimum give them a chance to opt-out).
  11. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 201   +6

Siri can't even answer a basic question such as what colour is orange I doubt it can give guidance on making a bomb :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.