Apple says the DOJ is investigating Samsung over patent abuse

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A recent court filing by Apple with the International Trade Commission claims the Department of Justice is investigating Samsung to determine whether they have used, or misused, declared-essential patents. Bloomberg suggested such an investigation might take place as early as June which correlates with a report from NASDAQ that claim an investigation has been going on for several months.

Standard-essential patents are described as those that are necessary for a product to operate according to industry standards. Examples of this include 3G, 4G, GSM or even H.264 technology. Patents governing the use of essential technology should be made available to all market players under fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) terms.

Apple claims that Samsung is using key patents as the basis for unfair legal action against competitors in a bid to block the sale of certain products. Cupertino believes Samsung has violated its commitment to licensing patents on FRAND terms.

A Samsung spokesperson said the company has not received any formal notification from authorities and that they continue to remain committed to fair licensing of standard-essential patents. A spokesperson for the Justice Department declined to comment or confirm the probe. Apple also declined to comment on the story.

The situation is similar to one that Google found itself in earlier this year following their acquisition of Motorola Mobility. The Justice Department noted at the time that they would more closely monitor how companies use essential patents in the wireless industry.

Permalink to story.

"Apple claims that Samsung is using key patents as the basis for unfair legal action against competitors in a bid to block the sale of certain products." <-- LOL!! This coming from Apple is absolutely hilarious. Apple is the most notorious company when it comes to trying to block the sale of competing products. I guess Apple is upset, because Samsung is going to stop selling LCD screens and memory for the iPad/iPhone starting next year. :)

WOW!!! A giant troll with a head shaped like a Apple!!! The great thing is that the DoJ is going to find that Samsung is innocent but that Apple is using litigation and the threat of litigation to suppress the market. When that happends Apple will be in a world of hurt. I cant wait to see Apple take a serious hit from this. Maybe it will make them see what type of monster they have become.

WOW!!! A giant troll with a head shaped like a Apple!!! The great thing is that the DoJ is going to find that Samsung is innocent but that Apple is using litigation and the threat of litigation to suppress the market. When that happends Apple will be in a world of hurt. I cant wait to see Apple take a serious hit from this. Maybe it will make them see what type of monster they have become.

Problem I see is.. Apple will try and buy their victory, because simply we all know Apple is blowing smoke. After all their whining over Samsung, they can't stand any possible losses. Especially in their country of origin, trying to defend against the "foreigners". It's just.. what Apple will honestly do.

I'm shaking my head honestly, I don't own a smartphone, etc but still. I sit here reading the articles, piecing it all together from everything. We all know Apple is upset over all the losses, so why not just sling mud and claim abuse against their rival. It'll take long enough to delay anything possibly, or just to muddy the waters even further.

Department of Justice should be investigating Apple over patent abuse..

Back