Apple, SBB reach licensing agreement over use of iconic clock design

By Shawn Knight
Oct 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The Swiss Federal Railway service (SBB) has come to a licensing agreement with Apple that will allow them to continue to use the iconic Swiss clock design on iOS devices. Terms of the deal will reportedly remain confidential, according to...

Read more
  2. Gareis

Gareis TechSpot Member Posts: 73   +14

And here apple is sueing samsungs pants off for patent infringement....
  3. Gareis

Gareis TechSpot Member Posts: 73   +14

They must have been afraid that apple would somehow turn the court on them...
  4. Not exactly same, Apple clock has no frame, Swiss clock 3D but Apple only 2D
  5. Scshadow

Scshadow TechSpot Maniac Posts: 348   +37

"it?s refreshing to see that a couple of companies can work through a dispute without a judge and jury being involved."

Refreshing? Not even close. Pretty sure if they tried to sue they wouldn't win. Apple can just update and remove the clock design and then SSB would have to convince a court that damages occurred during infringement. Then Apple would hold a grudge and would find ammo to fire back. Its lucky they got what they got. Its actually the most puzzling why Apple was fine settling. Probably too busy frying bigger fish.
  6. davimous

davimous Newcomer, in training Posts: 55   +9

I started to write a response but I then realized you must be trolling to write something like that.
    Porters likes this.
  7. MonsterZero

MonsterZero Newcomer, in training Posts: 52   +9

LOL, this sentence made me laugh, its Apple were talking about here....
    Porters and Gareis like this.
  8. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 535   +12

9. =>davimous
    What do you want to write? May contain traces of nuts? Or both them show 12:40:43?
    I wrote the different, thats fact, I dont commented the licensing agreement. I dont know how possible patenting the red dot. I get many red dot in school. Without red dot, I saw 1000s of clock with this looking everywhere.
  10. "I wrote the different, thats fact, I dont commented the licensing agreement. I dont know how possible patenting the red dot. I get many red dot in school. Without red dot, I saw 1000s of clock with this looking everywhere."

It's about the overall design. It's not about just the red dot but how the red dot goes with the other aspects of the design.
  11. RajeGera

RajeGera Newcomer, in training Posts: 50

The only reason why did that because apple is not their competitor in any ways,Had it been otheriwse then swiss would have sued them.Its just the nature of demand.

12. I bought some clocks like this from the dollar store... generic design....
  13. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 332   +56

Yea I saw MP3 players that look just like iPods in a dollar store too, guess that is a generic design as well huh? Those small nameless manufacturers can get away with ripping off big companies cause no one knows who they are or they are in countries where the government doesn't care not because the designs are generic. A big, name brand company can't get away with the same thing cause they are easy to be found and will get caught (like Apple just did).
  14. colinf

colinf Newcomer, in training Posts: 43   +7

your cheap knock off is more likely a copy of a Mondaine clock/watch...as I suspect Apple thought they were copying
  15. It's about time Apple, one of the most litigious companies ever, got a taste of their own medicine.
  16. dennis777

dennis777 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 274   +29

your way of thinking is naive.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.