Apple sells five million iPhone 5s during opening weekend

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple managed to sell over five million new iPhone 5 handsets during the first weekend of availability, topping the 4S’ record from last year by one million units. The phone launched in the US, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the UK on September 21. Furthermore, over 100 million devices have already been updated with the recently release iOS 6.

Reports suggest Cupertino’s initial stockpile of iPhone 5 handsets sold out within one hour of being made available for pre-order. Apple’s website currently shows the handset is on backorder for 3-4 weeks regardless of color, capacity or carrier.

Users interested in the new Apple phone might have better luck shopping through their respective carrier, at a local Apple store or through third party auction sites like eBay. Recently completed listings reveal the 16GB base model is selling for around $800 on average.

Demand for the iPhone 5 isn’t expected to slow down anytime soon. J.P. Morgan analyst Katy Huberty expects sales to hit 25 million for the quarter ending this month. The holiday season could see total iPhone 5 sales hit the 50 million mark and if things continue to do well next year, Apple could move 200 million iPhones in 2013.

The iPhone 5 will be released in 22 more countries on September 28 and will ultimately be offered in more than 100 countries by the end of the year. Interestingly enough, stock prices are down roughly 1.3 percent following the weekend sales announcement.

Permalink to story.

Like I said before, iphone hardware rocks but their operating system fails miserably. If only I could buy an iphone and install any os I want.

Like I said before, iphone hardware rocks but their operating system fails miserably. If only I could buy an iphone and install any os I want.

The only thing that the I has going for it is the screen(according to other people),all it's competitors have better specs.

The only thing it HAD was that the 1st one looked like it belonged to the designers of the world.

Its amazing how aware the iphone users are of how inferior the iphone 5 is. They're almost proud to have upgraded just "because its the new one" (actual quote). They all even admitted that nothing changed except a slightly bigger screen. It honestly blows my mind.

With numbers like this it's clear that Apple doesn't need to seek money from Samsung for "Damages". They're just upset that Samsung actually has engineers that know what Innovation means.

Ever since I read the artile that mentionned that apple Paid ppl to wait in line for 2 days in front of their stores I do not trust their numbers.

It could be true but it could also be exagerated to create demand and have pleaple say wow it must be really cool to seel that much OR I was goan wait to check it out after it came out but with that many pre orders they will most likely be out of stock!! Quick I must buy one !!!

Well looks like thats 5 million iphone 5s that are already scratched.

Currently Apple sits around 40 Billion Cash ? I wonder Why?
And Fans at the line for to get one for over 500 bucks.
I still could not get a job almost for 9 months after I got pink slip. (I.T. related)

With numbers like this it's clear that Apple doesn't need to seek money from Samsung for "Damages". They're just upset that Samsung actually has engineers that know what Innovation means.

oooooooooooooh innovation
www.techspot.com/news/50251-swiss-railway-operator-says-apple-stole-their-clock-design.html

Apple milking all the isheep, whats next iphone 5.1 with an extra usb post or something....

[FONT=inherit]Google is going to be renaming the Android operating system in the coming weeks. The new name is going to be "Forktroid". Never seen an operating system so forked and fragmented in my life.[/FONT]
[FONT=inherit]Samsung, please fork over the 1.05 billion that you owe to Apple, please.[/FONT]
[FONT=inherit]Thank you.[/FONT]

"its amazing how aware the iphone users are of how inferior the iphone 5 is"

--> Apple proved that how much you can sell a phone isn't just determined by specs alone.

Its amazing how aware the iphone users are of how inferior the iphone 5 is. They're almost proud to have upgraded just "because its the new one" (actual quote). They all even admitted that nothing changed except a slightly bigger screen. It honestly blows my mind.

It's amazing how unaware the apple haters are, that there are many, many more factors that determine how good a smartphone actually is, aside from the specs. And in the case of the iPhone those factors are indeed the key ones.
Considering just the raw performance of the phone, it might be even better than the S3 because of the OS that is specifically "tailored" to the hardware.
Plus I see many practical advantages of the iOS for me, alongside with an external design that looks like an elegant phone instead of some cheap household equipment (S3).

It's amazing how unaware the apple haters are, that there are many, many more factors that determine how good a smartphone actually is, aside from the specs. And in the case of the iPhone those factors are indeed the key ones.
Considering just the raw performance of the phone, it might be even better than the S3 because of the OS that is specifically "tailored" to the hardware.
Plus I see many practical advantages of the iOS for me, alongside with an external design that looks like an elegant phone instead of some cheap household equipment (S3).

That's is a very good point, it might be a little faster. I don't know; I haven't used it yet. But that doesn't change the fact that Apple could have re-released the first iphone, and these people still would have bought it and praised it.

Sad. That's the only way I can describe it.

Back