TechSpot

Apple sells five million iPhone 5s during opening weekend

By Shawn Knight
Sep 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple managed to sell over five million new iPhone 5 handsets during the first weekend of availability, topping the 4S' record from last year by one million units. The phone launched in the US, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong,...

Read more

2. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid TS Rookie Posts: 83   +6

iSheep Unite... Bahhh Bahhh Bahhh.

m4a4 likes this.
  3. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 408   +79

Like I said before, iphone hardware rocks but their operating system fails miserably. If only I could buy an iphone and install any os I want.

4. BMfan

BMfan TS Guru Posts: 481   +49

The only thing that the I has going for it is the screen(according to other people),all it's competitors have better specs.

The only thing it HAD was that the 1st one looked like it belonged to the designers of the world.

5. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

Its amazing how aware the iphone users are of how inferior the iphone 5 is. They're almost proud to have upgraded just "because its the new one" (actual quote). They all even admitted that nothing changed except a slightly bigger screen. It honestly blows my mind.

p51d007 likes this.
  6. Panda218

Panda218 TS Enthusiast Posts: 101   +16

With numbers like this it's clear that Apple doesn't need to seek money from Samsung for "Damages". They're just upset that Samsung actually has engineers that know what Innovation means.

Uvindu likes this.
  7. Neojt

Neojt TS Enthusiast Posts: 148   +10

Ever since I read the artile that mentionned that apple Paid ppl to wait in line for 2 days in front of their stores I do not trust their numbers.

It could be true but it could also be exagerated to create demand and have pleaple say wow it must be really cool to seel that much OR I was goan wait to check it out after it came out but with that many pre orders they will most likely be out of stock!! Quick I must buy one !!!

8. Well looks like thats 5 million iphone 5s that are already scratched.

9. Currently Apple sits around 40 Billion Cash ? I wonder Why?
    And Fans at the line for to get one for over 500 bucks.
    I still could not get a job almost for 9 months after I got pink slip. (I.T. related)

p51d007 likes this.
  10. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Good marketing :p

11. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

oooooooooooooh innovation
    www.techspot.com/news/50251-swiss-railway-operator-says-apple-stole-their-clock-design.html

12. Apple milking all the isheep, whats next iphone 5.1 with an extra usb post or something....

13. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

I'm confused. That looks just like a Samsung phone.

14. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

That's business, what do you expect? No point in worrying about something you have no control over

15. BallsDeep

BallsDeep TS Rookie

Google is going to be renaming the Android operating system in the coming weeks. The new name is going to be "Forktroid". Never seen an operating system so forked and fragmented in my life.
    Samsung, please fork over the 1.05 billion that you owe to Apple, please.
    Thank you.

16. ReederOnTheRun

True, if their engineers were half as good as their marketing team I'd have an iphone 5 right now

17. "its amazing how aware the iphone users are of how inferior the iphone 5 is"

--> Apple proved that how much you can sell a phone isn't just determined by specs alone.

18. PoisonHeadcrab

PoisonHeadcrab TS Rookie

It's amazing how unaware the apple haters are, that there are many, many more factors that determine how good a smartphone actually is, aside from the specs. And in the case of the iPhone those factors are indeed the key ones.
    Considering just the raw performance of the phone, it might be even better than the S3 because of the OS that is specifically "tailored" to the hardware.
    Plus I see many practical advantages of the iOS for me, alongside with an external design that looks like an elegant phone instead of some cheap household equipment (S3).

19. ReederOnTheRun

That's is a very good point, it might be a little faster. I don't know; I haven't used it yet. But that doesn't change the fact that Apple could have re-released the first iphone, and these people still would have bought it and praised it.

Sad. That's the only way I can describe it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.