TechSpot

Apple settles class action lawsuit, will pay $15 to iPhone 4 owners

By Rick
Feb 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Although "Antennagate" has long since slipped from the headlines and become little more than a fuzzy memory for most, the legal drama surrounding the matter has finally come to a…

Read the whole story

2. Only $15? Being insanely cheap is not very trendy. My iPod is the worst piece of kit I have ever owned; never again I say.

3. Only? $15 dollars for damages...no way for that overpriced piece of "ñordo"...their sheeps need an overpriced solution...its not trendy that way

4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,439   +559

That headline... Is the most comical thing I've read all day.

5. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Im just curious, what cost more the paperwork or losing that lawsuit?

6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Remember when Apple denied the claims the iPhone 4's antenna was poorly positioned inside the phones' chassis (which translates to them calling their own customers who had reception issues blatant liars)?

Their very denial of that irrevocable fact, is what got them into this very (now lost) litigation in the first place.

But guess what?

One of the new "features" in the iPhone 4S is (taken from Apple's own press release):

"Improving on the innovative stainless steel external, dual-antenna design of iPhone 4, iPhone 4S is the first phone to intelligently switch between two antennas to send and receive."

So why would they improve (or should I say, replace entirely) something that supposedly worked flawlessly? Don't let this deceive you. You don't need dual antennas to be able to work on GSM/CDMA bands; the inclusion of this "intelligent antenna switching," is just them fixing their **** together.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't believe in taking it all out on a company that makes mistakes; they all do, especially considering the astonishing amount of devices they produce. But the reason people are angry is because of their obvious, delusional denial of the issue.

It's like you buy a car from a dealer, you drive it for a few days, but then you realize you can't quite steer the wheel efficiently (or sometimes at all!). You, of course, bring it back to the dealer, explain what's going on, to then get shafted by them.

-"No, sir, you are holding the steer wheel wrong."

-"Ok. I'll bang my head a couple of times on this table, you know, to affect my brain a little, so that I could possibly even consider your asinine assertion, but, it'll be futile, you see, logic just keeps creeping back to me: How do **** do you even hold a steer wheel <i>wrong</I>?!"

(Granted, they didn't manufacture the car, but that's all semantics; you get the parallel.)

7. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 519   +86

Should've given them free Galaxy S2 phones.

8. well the 15 bucks covers the price of the bumper doesn't it?

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,821   +922

You'd think being Apple, they'd at least cough up a twenty and a dime bag of coke to snort with it.

So much for noblesse oblige.........

Can you damage an iPhone glass with a razor blade?

10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Hahaha. Nice.

But judging their target demographic, maybe a Starbucks Gift Card and a few Adderall.

11. what?! that can't even pay a months worth of data service (regardless of carrier). they may as well email a picture of them flipping their users off, at least some people might get a laugh.

12. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,949   +381

what you don't realize, Guests, is that $15 to millions of people is not very cheap.

13. For a company that makes billions in a year. It is a small sum of money.

14. Uvindu

Uvindu TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

So is this world wide, or just in the US?

15. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Did you forget Apple is almost nearing the richest company in the world right now?

15 dollars for every person is literally NOTHING.

16. No it doesn't cover the bumper. Their bumpers cost $30 and up.

17. God damn it; I resign.

18. I guess most posters here aren't familiar with class action suits. They almost always come out this way. The class is potentially so large that payouts are inconsequential. The LAWYERS rake in all the money.

19. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

$15 is still $15 more than you had without this ruling. Its just an Apple story so it has a lot of people flocking to display some outrage. Also explains a higher than normal percentage of 'Guest' posters.

I don't have an iPhone 4, perhaps if I did I'd view this differently. But from an outsider perspective it seems to me like the entire thing was fixed by putting a bumper on it, or someway disrupting the electrical connection made by 'holding it wrong'. Wouldn't clear tape have done that?. Bumpers were free right?

Should I get a monetary gift for purchasing Vista? I don't see much difference here.

20. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

Agreed, Although it was the main reason I didn't rush to get the iPhone 4, Being a lefty it would have affected me most.

But your right, simply putting sticky tape or getting one of the free bumpers fixes it, Its a shame it got so overblown.

21. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

If I recall correctly, the reason this class action lawsuit started was because at first, consumers didn't really know the reason for the horrible reception and dropped calls. They turned to Apple for an explanation, and, wait, let's forget for a minute the widely known fact that they completely denied there was something actually wrong. Consider this:

They told it was people who were holding their phones wrong. Well, it turns out there's no way you can hold a phone wrong.

People were outraged by this and then decided to sue. Right after it began, they offered these bumps for the phone that fixed the antenna issues. This fixed the problem (even though they did fix it, to them there was never a "problem"), but people kept on with the lawsuit in, what I presume, an attempt to get something out of their frustration.

22. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

No its all about greed. Greed on both sides of the isle. Normally there is a processing fee. Not to include the lawyers. Who im sure, were VERY eager to attempt a lawsuit against apple. I have an Iphone4 and have only ever had 1 dropped call. No biggie......I called them back.......problem solved and didnt need to file a lawsuit.

23. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 333   +51

at 25,000,000 "members" in the class suit, 15 dollars each, that comes out to
    $375,000,000 just for the payout. How much was the total lawsuit, and how much
    did the snake lawyers get?

24. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

That made me laugh. :D

25. wcbert

wcbert TS Rookie Posts: 71

Does anyone know how much the lawyers made? They could have have been paid a Iphone case!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.