Apple testing 7-inch screens for iPad mini, says report

By Shawn Knight
Oct 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Reports out of Taiwan indicate that Apple could be looking to manufacture a 7-inch iPad in the near future. The United Daily News believes that Samsung and AU Optronics haveā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Booster Posts: 351   +38

Definitely would not buy unless its like $150
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Called it...
  4. The report says that?? I didn't know reports could speak!
    Transformers, reports in disguiiiiiise *whoo whoo whoo whooooosh*
  5. so when can i camp and line up to the store?
  6. or could it be the screen for the new iPhone 5...
  7. whiteandnerdy

whiteandnerdy TechSpot Member Posts: 71

it only makes sense that they make an iPad mini. they already have an iPad nano...oh wait that's the iPod touch...
  8. Perhaps Tim will piss all over Jobs' grave while he's at it. That said, Jobs was wrong on this one, 7 inches if a pretty good size (no sexual innuendo intended).
  9. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

I know allot of people that said the iPad was too big (mainly girls) and liked the size of the 7" galaxy tab but didn't quite like the how it operated, so this decrease in size and cost could be a winner, actually lets face its Apple so it will be.
  10. doesn't matter who thinks its wrong or right or too small or too big, there is a market for it and it would sell like hotcakes.
  11. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Addict Posts: 393   +101

I think the current iPad size is good. I hope they do not make a 7" size. That just feels like bloated smartphone. Really, why would anyone carry a smartphone and a 7" tablet? Especially when smartphones are nearly reaching 5" (4.7" HTC Titan). 10" is a big enough difference that it actually makes sense and having 2 screen sizes for the iPad just makes things unnecessarily more complex for developers.

12. Better yet make the regular Ipad $250. There is no need for 7". Its to small. I'll just use my phone. 10" seems to be just about right or even a little bigger would be nice.
  13. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,466   +289

You are probably correct, and I don't know much/any about 7" screen sizes and who makes them. But, if they could keep the resolution the same (just higher pixel density) then it wouldn't change things for devs.
  14. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Has anyone seen that "Innotab" for kids? It's pathetic and priced at $80. Ipad needs a kid friendly version and smaller screen would allow for lots of bumber space.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.