Apple to launch $800 Tablet in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Those persistent rumors about an Apple netbook/tablet style device are doing the rounds once again, this time actually point out a release date and expected price point. The latest reports emerged from China’s InfoTimes, which claims three of Apple’s manufacturing partners — Foxconn, Wintek and Dynapack — have received orders related to the device in advance of an October launch. The device will reportedly sell for around $800.

Wintek was said to be supplying screens to Apple when the first round of rumors started, while Foxconn is said to have been picked for building the tablet thanks to its existing involvement in building the iPhone. Exact specifications for the much rumored device weren’t mentioned. Apple has openly complained of poor netbook hardware from rivals, including small screens and keyboards. The Wintek display would actually be somewhat in line with what others are currently offering at 9.7-inches, but it's unclear whether Apple will try to improve on the keyboard or scrap it altogether for a touch-only design.

The so-called Apple Media Pad (or whatever it ends up being named) was rumored to make an appearance at the WWDC back in June, but failed to materialize. The latest rumors suggest an announcement could be made in or around September, when Apple is also expected to unveil a revamped iPod lineup.

Permalink to story.

so uhhh, yeah, i see "notebook/tablet" at the begining of this article, when the majority of their mobile lineup is already comparable to low end notebooks from other companies, along with the "apple premium price point." Most people already have their macbooks/pro. Which are already thinner than their pc competition.

Are they going to kill performance again with this lineup. I dont know if I could deal with something weaker than a current netbook, or even just as week, but for 800 usd...come on.

...If you are looking for power, a tablet is not the place to go. PC tablets aren't that high end usually either.

I agree, never said I was looking for performance out of these things, but performance is scaled down because of how small they are, there's no problem with that, they need to be efficient. I'm not going to pay 800usd for something that's comparatively the same thing as a 300usd netbook.

What's an Apple iPhone 3Gs? Like $699? And that has acceptable performance for video playback and texting. About that of the first generation Pentium computer. Sure, it will never play Crysis in any detail, but you might be able to read and reply to emails with more comfort. If Apple continues with the exotic parts then the $800 price point doesn't sand to be that far from reality. But if they instead use Intel Atom and traditional hard drives then $800 seems high. I'll hold my reservations until I see it reviewed or get my hands on a demo unit. But I most certainly won't be in line to buy these on day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back