TechSpot

Apple TV update includes iTunes Radio, AirPlay from iCloud, more

By Shawn Knight
Sep 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has released a software update for their Apple TV set-top box that delivers a number of new features and services. Chief among them is iTunes Radio, the streaming music service that debuted alongside iOS 7 a couple of days ago.

Read more
  2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I have a sneaking suspicion that IP radio will become another bubble. Every car manufacturer will create or partner with one powered by ATT or Verizon. It could be a reason to exclude AM and FM from base models. It would get rid of an antenna.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

I wonder if the Apple TV will get a hardware refresh anytime soon.
  4. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

It bricked mine. I had to connect it to iTunes and perform a restore.
  5. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 543

At least apple put in the ability to restore it, sometimes you hear of these devices/ games consoles ETC being bricked and having to be sent off for a repair, which can take months.
  6. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,159   +174

Yes it is good there is a backup plan. Takes the edge off a bricking. Always worry about the "what ifs" for any firmware update.
  7. mojorisin23

mojorisin23 TS Rookie Posts: 65

The article did say a hardware update was expected in the coming weeks... I was planning on buying Apple TV, but I think now I'll wait until it is confirmed.
  8. Andysout

Andysout TS Rookie

Works for me..!
  9. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

Yeah same. I think the upgrade will mainly be an A6 CPU and maybe a smaller design.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.