Apple unveils iCloud synchronization service at WWDC

By Matthew
Jun 6, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's iCloud service is perhaps the company's most interesting announcement today at WWDC. Long rumored as a music streaming service, Apple's take on cloud computing is better described as a…

Read the whole story
  2. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 516   +96

Hmmm..

A 10 bucks or less for a decent thumb drive or $24.95 to Apple for some service I don't need....
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

What I don't get is what prevents people from pirating songs and then using this service to "launder" them, and have ostensibly legal copies of pirated music.
  4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

I'm wondering the same thing gwailo.
  5. So ... where are all the bois shouting huzzah and dancing in the streets over this "revolutionary" new technology?
    Strange though, this idea sounds . vaguely . familiar . where . have . I . heard . this . before ?

Oh yeah, Xdrive, Idrive, Adrive, Box.net, dropbox, livedrive, skydrive and countless others.
    Way to pioneer apple!
  6. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Thats the thing i will be waiting to see as well, most of my media, is somewhat in the grey area in terms of legality, so i am waiting to see how they will deal with pirated content on cloud services, if it can be dealt with at all
  7. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 516   +96

but..but..but..

Its got an Apple emblem on it...It MUST be revolutionary :p
  8. OMG OMG.... Steve Jobs has done it again! Another revolutionary tech from Apple!
  9. Very cool actually. There is nothing about an MP3 that stamps it as pirated; people rip their own CDs quite regularly. Whether Apple upconverts it or not does not change the legitimacy.

This is actually quite ingenious on Apple's part as they will have the majority of songs most people want to upload already cached and only need a pointer to it stored in the users account.
  10. The difference is that when Apple incorporates a technology, they get it right.

The right price, the right functionality, the right integration, the right performance, the right ease of use, the right look to it and the right timing.

It's good to be an Apple customer right now - they are taking care of their own and deserve all the money they are making.

All you dopey whiners watch as Apple's stock price and market share continues to rise. If you had any smarts you'd stop talking out your butts and put your money where your mouths aren't.

It's catch up time once again for the rest.
  11. The right price?! Are you ****ing kidding me man?

12. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 861   +75

@ Guest 1:34AM:

I guess you can't put a price on stupid
  13. Apple is not free but the value is there. It's unrealistic to expect to get excellent hardware\software with good support for nothing.

The PC world is rife with quality compromises as each of the umpteen manufacturers tries to undercut the next and still remain profitable. And support is typically abysmal. What a ****ing mess.
  14. Nor can one expect an intelligent comment from yRaz ;)
  15. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I like Apple products, and I've always owned a Mac, but.... Seriously? :haha:
  16. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 951   +98

Haha yeh.

Careful Apple, you never know when you might get sued for using "Cloud" in your label. derp
  17. I see ISP data charges as a potential limiting factor for ICloud or any other cloud.
    The more you have to get music, data, applications, etc. from the "cloud" the more
    strain you put on the ISP resources, and eventually they willl pass the cost back to the user.
  18. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

19. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

And by the way it looks like Jobs has been talking about making services like iCloud since 1997, so there goes this feeling that Apple is copying Google: http://gigaom.com/apple/think-icloud-is-reactionary-think-again/

And of course there's the fact that iCloud is different from any other Google service that it's meant to use be used from different applications and not only from the web and not only by Google products.
  20. gwailo247

You do realize that you're installing this update on the $500 computer that cost you $2000?

Apple may not be milking their customers, but they do have the highest profit margins on hardware out there. Now whether the highest profit margin = milking, well, that's a personal decision to make.
  21. Can you put a price on perfection?

Apple is the God of consumer computer tech.

Bow ye head low and open thy wallet wide or face the wrath!

:)
  22. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I thought we banned Steve Jobs from posting as a Guest? :haha:
  23. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

Super! Now Apple can tell it's users what software they can use, where they can buy all their music, and at long last, where they should store their data after they get it.

It's like they've done all your thinking for you! And judging by the quality of guest posts here at Techspot, they both need to, and have!

I think they should pay me for coming up with this advertising slogan, "my head is in the Apple cloud, but who cares? Uncle Steve told me not to worry"! It's certainly better than where it was before, up my a**"!

No good? Then how about, "Steve leadeth me beside my stilled thought processes, yet I fear no evil, for verily, he thinketh for me"!
  24. gwailo247

LMAO. That's from the bible right, Book of Job?
  25. It's back to punch cards for you than Cranky.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.