Apple urged to hand over iPad sales figures in Galaxy Tab suit

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Federal Court Judge Annabelle Bennett has said that Apple should consider handing over UK and US sales figures on the iPad and iPad 2 if they hope to have any chance of achieving a ban on Samsung’s Galaxy Tab in Australia. The numbers would help her determine if sales of the Galaxy Tab would affect iPad sales down under.

The judge is leaving it up to Apple to decide whether or not they want to submit the data for consideration and has denied Samsung’s request for them, says Bloomberg. Apple is strongly urged to comply with the request, as the judge made it clear that she can’t draw any positive assumptions on the impact of Galaxy Tab sales otherwise.

This is just the next chapter in the Apple vs. Samsung legal battle that has been unfolding for several months in multiple countries. Earlier this year Apple sued Samsung in California over Galaxy phones and tablets which prompted a countersuit by Samsung less than a week later alleging patent infringement on their smartphone technologies.

In Australia, Apple is arguing that the Galaxy Tab is too similar to the iPad and would hurt sales of their tablet in the region. Samsung claims that people want an Android product and they are simply delivering said product to market, adding that their device won’t impact Apple’s sales.

Apple has yet to make a decision on the sales figures, but being the super secret company that they are, I would be surprised if they elected to do so.

Permalink to story.

Of course its going to hurt apples sales as people would buy the better product which is the Galaxy Tab and NOT because it looks the same, so apple are using this as an excuse to increase their sales as there would be nothing else to buy which is good.

It is just Apple's way of slowing down a potential competitor.

Deer Apple,

If you want to dominate the market even more .....do ONE thing.

SUPPORT FLASH ... DONE!

and improving the Safari browser to at least Firefox standards would be NICE!

once again ... your product will be competitive and you don't need to sue Samsung!

Setting aside my personal feelings, Apple used to make headlines with their products, now their headlines are typically about their lawsuits or other such crap.

This period right now is going to really show if Apple = Steve Jobs or if it has the ability to maintain the level of success he brought to it. Without him the company did very poorly. But at the same time I feel he has been responsible for a lot of bad press in the past few years as well. It will be very interesting to see how the company does. I think it depends a lot about what the next big thing after tablets is going to be, and if Apple can bring that to the market first.

Or more accurately, create the market for something that doesn't exist yet. Not many companies can do such a thing, their marketing is second to none.

the Samsung design cues on the tablet follow their flat screen TV's and computer monitors nicely.. I would think it would b very easy for Samsung to show this and walk away from yet again, another large helping of fail for Apple. As well i hate proprietary, over priced nonsense that Apple spews forth on a regular basis..

I have yet to see a cheaper alternative to the iPad that's worth it. Just sayin'

Apple is so sad.. what ever happened to competition???

I think IBM should sue apple for making a mac book because its in violation of IBM's 5100 laptop.

Guest said:
I have yet to see a cheaper alternative to the iPad that's worth it. Just sayin'
To be honest me neither, and I'm not a apple fan.

I still want a Galaxy tab simply for the functions you get out of the box without the need for installing 3rd party apps, like tethering and playing non quicktime videos (avi, mp4, mkv, flv, etc). Another plus with Android is you get widgets and can simply drag and drop files onto the phone :)

The only people that seem to be profiting right now are the lawyers, that aint right

why would you buy a tablet in the 1st place?

get a laptop... too big?? get a smart phone... too small?? BS! new galaxy phone is coming out with a 5"+ screen

I weighed the in's and out's of all the major tablet before buying my iPad 2 the other day. You can't beat Apple's fit and finish, I love all you haters though, clearly you haven't actually used an iPad or you wouldn't hate on it so much... Just saying it's stupid to rip on a product you know so little about.

steve jobs should go have a shave.. buy some decent shoes and die...
Lovely... :rolleyes:

But jobs is no longer running things anyway...

But no I don't get the problem - apple make big money selling shiny gadgets to the computer illiterate - people mostly in 1st world countries who have a choice what they spend their money on - and that makes apple evil?

Ok they probably are evil, or just greedy and monopolistic like mickeyshaft and the rest, but if you're going to blame anything maybe blame the iconsumer not the iproduct...

The people is buying Andriod OS or apple OS not tha appearance of tablet, there should be no Judje company

Guest said:
Deer Apple,

If you want to dominate the market even more .....do ONE thing.

SUPPORT FLASH ... DONE!

and improving the Safari browser to at least Firefox standards would be NICE!

once again ... your product will be competitive and you don't need to sue Samsung!
actaully, this dudes right. my main complaint of iOS.

Back