Apple warns users against jailbreaking following evasi0n hack

By Jos
Feb 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Although unlocking a phone that's still tied to a contract was recently deemed illegal in the US, jailbreaking isn't, according to the latest review of exceptions to the DMCA in October. But that doesn't mean the practice isn't frowned upon...

Read more
  2. mevans336

mevans336 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

I don't really see the point to jailbreaking. You can tether now for free and I can't think of a single popular app that still only works over WiFi and not the cellular network.
  3. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

Me neither but could someone perhaps tell me if jailbreaking the iPad (1 or 2) will allow me to share the 3G from the pad over wifi? (personal hotspot in apple terms)
  4. spencer

spencer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 199   +21

You can get free apps and movies through installlus and tweak the ui theme and other things
  5. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,193   +105

There used to be a program called itether around, im pretty sure there will be quite a few similar apps to be had on jailbroken devices.
  6. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 322   +18

" the process essentially does away with operating system restrictions and allows you to run all kinds of apps and system tweaks that haven't been authorized by Apple -- to install Siri on older devices, "

Tutorial for this please. Siri would be nice to have.
  7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,713   +286

talk of warez isnt allowed around here.

Jailbreaking allows for installation of themes and mods that apple wouldnt allow, For example, mods that make icons smaller and let you fit more icons on the screen, other gui changes, etc
  8. Buster Keaton

Buster Keaton Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

Who said anything about warez?
  9. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 851   +84

Some examples of these issues include instability, shortened battery life, unreliable voice and data, and possibly being exposed to security vulnerabilities from running unsanctioned third-party software.

If people jailbreaking their phones don't already know this....
  10. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,713   +286

getting free apps through installous is receiving copyrighted content without paying the fees intended by the content creators.
  11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,246   +213

Someone needs to jailbreak the 3rd gen AppleTV.
  12. adamsmith0123

adamsmith0123 Newcomer, in training

It really depends on this user, as for me I really enjoy a jailbroken phone. It has more function and I can fully customized it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.