Apple wins temporary ban of Samsung tablets in Australia

Jos

Staff

Apple has secured a temporary ban on the sale of Samsung tablets in Australia after launching legal action against the Korean company for allegedly copying the iPad too closely. In the federal court of New South Wales, Justice Annabelle Bennett granted the injunction, which prohibits the sale of Samsung's tablets until the lengthy patent battle between the two technology giants has been resolved.

"I am satisfied that it is appropriate to grant an interim injunction," Justice Bennett said, confirming that Apple had valid cause for legal action for the breach of its touchscreen technology patents. The dispute will now head towards a full hearing, although it is unlikely to take place until at least next year.

The South Korean technology giant said they are considering legal options, following the decision. "Samsung will take all necessary measures including legal action in order to ensure our innovative products are available to consumers," the company said in a statement. "This is a part of our ongoing legal proceeding against Apple's claim."

Samsung is confident it can prove that Apple had violated separate patents belonging to them relating to wireless technology, and has filed a cross-claim against the iPad maker in the Federal court already.

Nevertheless this latest ruling is going to be a huge blow to its seemingly unstoppable sales success as of late. Samsung had previously said it would completely pull the Galaxy tablets from the Australian market if it was unable to sell them over the Christmas period, as it would render the device "dead."

Apple already won a similar battle against Samsung in Germany, resulting in a sales ban for Galaxy devices in that country. Court cases are still ongoing in the UK, US, Japan, the Netherlands and Italy.

Permalink to story.

No mames...What kind of Joke is this? again samsung solution.....if you want respect...you already have the structure to success so...Crush them like flies with new products

So in fact Apple took different parts from different manufacturers like LCD screens, multitouch panels, chips, and other stuff and give them to Foxconn which produced for them the iPhone and iPad.
Now basically Apple didn't have any patents related to those products since Apple didn't produced them, they just bought those products from different manufacturers.

Then watch out the tricky part they produce a square phone or tablet and patent that square then with that patented square they try to minimize and render useless the other dozens of patents that are related to real technology inside a smartphone or tablet like GSM standards, 3G, 4G technology, LCD dispaly patents, multitouch panel patents, photo camera patents, antenna patents, ram memory patents, storage memory patents, CPU and GPU patents, and who knows what other patents are found inside a smart phone, and all those useful patents Apple is trying to minimize and trying to render them useless with a square patent, how genius is that ?

Even more reason to avoid Aunty Apple and her demanding ways. No need for individuality says Aunty Apple....My way or the highway. Give me yer money, now puker up and kiss my ***.

Stupid Samsung, making a square tablet...oh wait, they're all square...

Well, my period of mourning for Jobs is over, this reminds me how much of an ******* he was.

People like Gates and Jobs got where they are today, by "standing on the shoulders of giants", they're marketing experts, armed with an arsenal of patents and backed up by teams of lawyers, not technical geniuses.

wtf? "for allegedly copying the iPad too closely", why doesn't just Apply sue everyone who makes tablets just because they are making tablets...

This is also one reason for why I don't support Apple in any way, I have never had an Apple product in my life and never will.

DjKraid said:
wtf? "for allegedly copying the iPad too closely", why doesn't just Apply sue everyone who makes tablets just because they are making tablets...

This is also one reason for why I don't support Apple in any way, I have never had an Apple product in my life and never will.

This is how the game is played by virtually all big tech companies. Likewise, Samsung is suing Apple for a number of products -- not the least of which was asking for an inunction against the sale iPhones because Apple "copied" one of their phones too closely....

Rick said:
Likewise, Samsung is suing Apple for a number of products -- not the least of which was asking for an inunction against the sale iPhones because Apple "copied" one of their phones too closely....

AFTER Apple sued them...the order in which these events happened is pretty germane to the issue at hand...

Apple upped the ante by asking for injunctions against what a lot of people argued would be a very strong competitor to the iPhone.

Standard three Apple apologist arguments:
1. The issue does not exist.
2. The issue exists, but its not a problem.
3. The issue exists, and its a problem, but everyone else is doing it so its ok.

Back