Apple working with suppliers on 8-inch iPad, says WSJ

By Jos
Feb 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple is widely expected to announce a new iPad early next month, tentatively known as the iPad 3. If recent rumors are to be trusted, it will likely look and…

Read the whole story
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +681

iPad mini? Since when has 8 inches ever been called 'mini' seriously.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +478

My dream iPad would be one that precisely doubles the screen of iPhone 4, i.e. 7-inch, with 1080P resolution, and then I couldn't wish for more. I think this would be the ideal form-factor + picture quality for many users.

However, if the rumors are confirmed, we are gonna see iPad with screen quality (read DPI or PPI) less than that on iPhone 4 :(
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +681

Blame the batteries, Vitaly... others have more insight than I do on this, but my understanding is that more pixels requires more processing power, which means more heat and less battery life. I don't know if Apple does this, but I believe it's the Samsung nexus that actually ships with the processor clocked slower than max speed to improve battery life. It's one reason a phone like the Nexus has worse battery life websurfing than an iphone 4S, but has equal talk time. Takes a lot of juice to keep that big screen lit up and working.
  5. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 385   +96

I really can't see Apple putting out an iPad or even an iPhone that doesn't meet their "Retina Display" criteria, which is a PPI of at least 326.

For clarification, that means I don't think a "mini" iPad will be released *if* the iPad 3 does in fact have a PPI of 326 or higher. However, if the iPad 3's screen is *not* "Retina Display" worthy, then they it might be possible that they would release a "mini" iPad.

The reason I say it like that is because I can't see them getting a 8" iPad to 326 PPI just yet, and it would be really "backwards" of them to release a iPad without Retina Display *after* having released one with a Retina Display (iPad 3?).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.