Apple's App Store sales topped $10 billion last year, over $1 billion in December alone

Himanshu Arora

apple app store sales

Apple announced today that App Store sales topped a whopping $10 billion in 2013. Customers spent over $1 billion and downloaded more than 3 billion apps in December alone, which according to the company was the most successful month in the history of its App Store.

"We’d like to thank our customers for making 2013 the best year ever for the App Store," said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services.

The Cupertino-based company credited iOS7, which brought along many new features and APIs, allowing developers to come up with more efficient and better performing apps. The company said that the developers, who get 70 percent share of App Store transactions, have collectively earned $15 billion on the App Store to date.

While apps such as Evernote, Yahoo!, AirBnB, OpenTable, Tumblr, Pinterest and American Airlines received a special mention for their re-imagined user experience, some surprise hits like Ellen DeGeneres’ Heads Up, ProtoGeo’s Moves, Simon Filip’s Afterlight, and Kevin Ng’s Impossible Road, were also mentioned in the announcement.

Looking forward to the next year, the company mentioned Duolingo (United States), Simogo (Sweden), Frogmind (UK), Plain Vanilla Corp (Iceland), and more, as developers to watch in 2014.

Permalink to story.

Quite the very large number, $10 billion. That's a lot of busy people! I'm now curious how much money the average iOS user spends per month/year. And if that success is echoed in other markets (such as the Google Play store.)

Anything Apple says I take with a big pinch of salt but one thing is certain, they never received a penny from me.

Back