Apple's iOS 7 to be "black, white and flat all over"

Rick

What's black, white and flat all over? iOS 7, if rumors prove correct. Anonymous sources in touch with 9to5Mac claim to know details about what's shaping up to be Apple's most radical iDevice update thus far: a flattened, minimalistic, anti-skeuomorphic UI poured uniformly atop its next-gen mobile OS.

Apple's iOS GUI shake-up is largely attributed to Jony Ive, a sort of industrial design rockstar at Apple. Ive's legacy includes the design of the original iMac, and those of Apple's iPods, iPhones, iPads and Macbooks. Ive and Jobs were famously close. In fact, Jobs' Biographer Walter Isaacson labeled them as "soul mates," even though Ive admittedly cringed when Jobs sometimes received credit for his design work.

Past hearsay already suggested a flat look was imminent for iOS 7, but a mostly black and white interface represents an even larger change still.

9to5Mac's sources claim home screen icons will lose their shadows and gloss in favor of flatness. Meanwhile, apps like Game Center and Notes will lose metaphorical (I.e. skeuomorphic) elements borrowed from their real-world counterparts -- things like a game table-inspired green felt, leather-like trim, wood-grained shelves and college-ruled yellow notebook paper -- in favor of a decidedly modern look filled more with broad swaths of solid color and less with overt stylism.

"Ive stated that software designs filled with physical metaphors do not stand the test of time," 9to5Mac reported. Indeed, in its current state, iOS is filled with examples of visual metaphors.

Also on the list of purported changes is an easily accessible panel for accessing wireless connectivity configurations and toggles (I.e. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane Mode), a re-designed lock screen, new widgets (think: Weather and Stocks apps) and easier ways to access them. Previous rumors also indicate "dramatic" changes coming to Mail and Calendar apps. Let us hope they are all for the best.

Permalink to story.

So is this Apple copying Microsoft and Google? A lot of stuff those companies are doing utilize "flat design". So is apple following a trend right now, or are they still making original magic?

So Apple is jumping on the anti-design bandwagon, too? Hope their prepared for major user backlash. Really makes me wonder if all these companies are getting kickbacks from Stardock.

"Ive stated that software designs filled with physical metaphors do not stand the test of time,"
Why do the designs need to stand the test of time when they want their customers to buy a new gadget every year or two?

Also on the list of purported changes is an easily accessible panel for accessing wireless connectivity configurations and toggles (I.e. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane Mode), a re-designed lock screen, new widgets (think: Weather, Stocks) and easier ways to access them.

Good thinking of them to read through the feature list of Android 2.0 for ideas.

Mac users are told what to like, as opposed to Windows users who are told by Microsoft, We don't care if you like it or not, or Linux users don't need to be told: they hate everything.

Sure, take the visual cues that add extra meaning and let people guess more. Just pull back a little.Yes, the green felt in Game Center has to go. But remove shadows and colors? Dumb. Windows 8 is failing so why copy it?

Sounds good to people when Apple does it. When Microsoft does it, it's the biggest tech flop of the decade.

Because Microsoft is generally about functionality. Apple is just about making sure people buy iDevices and knowing how to press buttons with big pictures on them.

Because Microsoft is generally about functionality. Apple is just about making sure people buy iDevices and knowing how to press buttons with big pictures on them.
LOL, like how Windows 8 forced you into the horrible (for desktops) metro interface?

Not sure about the black, but I like the rest.
Racist
trollface_mini.jpg

Is it a steaming hot pile of dung? Yes. Is it Apple? Yes. Ergo, the Apple Dung Beetles will devour it.

Some will love it, some will hate it and some will sit on the fence. As for me... I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

I hate skeuomorphism also, it looks cheap and tacky and has always been one of the worst things about Apple. I'm not so sure about the black and white though, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it. The backlash against minimalist/flat UI's just demonstrates how tasteless the general public is. Windows 8's UI might not be the most functional for desktop use, but I can't see how anyone can deny it looks significantly better than the previous Aero one.

I hate skeuomorphism also, it looks cheap and tacky and has always been one of the worst things about Apple. I'm not so sure about the black and white though, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it. The backlash against minimalist/flat UI's just demonstrates how tasteless the general public is. Windows 8's UI might not be the most functional for desktop use, but I can't see how anyone can deny it looks significantly better than the previous Aero one.
Well, thanks for dropping by and explaining taste to us. Yours anyway. Do you work for Apple? Because you sound like the type to be telling people what they should think, like, and buy. Maybe Cupertino has a place for you in their ministry of propaganda, if you're not collecting a check from the Apple bandwagon already.

Feel free to stop back again. Maybe you could condescend to give us a lecture on manners. That's where I really shine, is my manners....;)

People who fall back on the "taste is objective" line of thought are usually tasteless, thus confirming my point. The accusation that I'm either an Apple fanboy or outright paid by Apple, is further evidence of your defective mental state considering I both criticised Apple (for skeuomorphis) and praised Microsoft (for the aesthetic changes in Windows 8) in that post.

People who fall back on the "taste is objective" line of thought are usually tasteless, thus confirming my point. The accusation that I'm either an Apple fanboy or outright paid by Apple, is further evidence of your defective mental state considering I both criticised Apple (for skeuomorphis) and praised Microsoft (for the aesthetic changes in Windows 8) in that post.
I simply don't care what you think about any topic. I don't need, or care to, have your opinion inflicted on me for any reason(*). Perhaps the only person that cares about your opinion, is you. In point of fact, you do so rather blatantly, and in a big way....

I personally want absolutely nothing do with an Apple anything, and wouldn't touch Windows 8 with your ten foot pole. So, about all you could say to detract from my "taste" on this topic is, my tastes are much more traditional than yours, you big fuzzy hipster you....

With that said, I must be doing something right since you came back for some more of my abuse. Have a nice day.

(*) I do however, enjoy the challenge of debauching an opinion other than my own. Call it a "guilty pleasure" of mine

Your sad rantings hardly qualify as abuse - and once again you've demonstrated your utter inability to comprehend a simple paragraph by your mentioning of Apple again when I was talking just as much about Microsoft and actually criticising Apple UI aesthetics, and talking about UI design in general. Judging from what you've said, I would classify your tastes more as misoneism or just "bad" rather than traditional.

Your sad rantings hardly qualify as abuse - and once again you've demonstrated your utter inability to comprehend a simple paragraph by your mentioning of Apple again when I was talking just as much about Microsoft and actually criticising Apple UI aesthetics, and talking about UI design in general. Judging from what you've said, I would classify your tastes more as misoneism or just "bad" rather than traditional.
What part of, "I don't care about you, your superiority complex, Apple in general, or Windows 8", are you unable to wrap that autistic noggin of yours around?. They all pretty much suck in my book. You should probably put that megaphone of yours up your behind, at least you'll make some headway in your noble and Quixotic quest to have people ignore you completely

But perhaps if you're going to come blasting in here as the "Taste Nazi in Drag", wouldn't it be nice if you took the time to learn to spell?

We're actually on the same page with Apple's "follow the bouncing ball" , tinker toy UI. Now go play with Windows 8's "wonderful, futuristic, UI. It's basically a crippled 2D set of Fischer-Price blocks.in bright colors, designed to hypnotize and fascinate those weak of mind. Stare at the screen, rub your fingers all over it. The way you're gushing about Win 8, you'll probably have to have a cigarette at about the 2 minute mark...:eek: . Then take a break, catch your breath, kick your feet up, and watch about a half hour steady of "Surface Tablet" commercials. That should either put you at oneness with the Windows 8 experience, or cause you to be committed. We'll see I suppose. You gotta know, I'm hoping for the latter.

Back