TechSpot

Apple's iOS runs HTML5 games three times faster than Android

By Leeky
Mar 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new study has found that iOS offers better HTML 5 performance than Android, according tests conducted by cloud-based games platform Spaceport. The Perfmarks benchmark suite compares the performance of a…

Read the whole story
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,779   +537

...and that came out of nowhere, 1 day prior to announcement of iPad 3. Strange coincidence? - i think not!
  3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,545   +93

Given that Google are moving from the webkit based browser in Android 2.3 to Chrome browser in Android 4.0 there have been no updates to the 2.3 browser for HTML5 support since its release. I'd like to see Opera Mobile and Firefox mobile browsers tested too since that is one of the advantages of Android not being a closed environment like iOS. I know for a fact that both Opera Mobile and Firefox on Android support a larger number of HTML5's features than the Android webkit based browser (probably as they are still being updated/developed). I would hazard a guess that they'd perform better than the Android browser at these graphic tasks too. It is an opportune moment for this comparison to be performed just as Android is making a transition to a hugely reworked operating system with a new browser and as VitalyT pointed out, just before iPad3 announcement. I wonder how previous iOS versions would have faired in these tests?

Android 2.3 surfaced around the end of 2010 from what I can work out, iOS5 was released October 12, 2011. Given the time difference between these two phone OS's I would have been shocked if the almost year younger OS's browser didn't perform better in these HTML5 tests than Android. Given that the final specification of HTML5 is still not completed I'd say this comparison is somewhat premature.

Even with all that said, no one can really take anything away from iOS as this clearly shows that currently for HTML5 graphics/games Apple does have a substantial performance lead.
  4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,545   +93

Yes, that's a very good point.
  5. Where is WP7?
  6. The 3 people who got a WP7 did not submit their results.
  7. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 271   +47

Why the news like "Google and Motorola will submit their plans to Apple" [have no link in english, sorry] about product names, specs, launch and changes to Android aren't published widely? I'm really getting sick of such dirty non-competition practices of Apple [I'm collecting in my documents starting today all the news about legal fights that involve Apple]; for being short, today I'm declaring myself anti-Apple after reading the news [today] I just quoted -after many others read in the past months. I've never bought or said anything in favor or against Apple -living with 2 Apple fans in the family [uncles] since I can remember; but today I'm taking determination about the topic: if I get the chance I won't own, accept or buy any Apple product and if asked I would say "don't buy" as I do when talking about NIKE for example with the only condition that Apple in the same relative popular and economic position redeems itself (not after they have a sort of Bill Gate's judgement to stop those dirty practices).
  8. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TS Member Posts: 75

win

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.